Keyboard access to the menu bar in P 8 with a screen reader

Options
MarcoZ
MarcoZ
Community Member

Hi team!

I just upgraded to 1Password 8. I'm blind and use it with a screen reader, in my case JAWS for Windows.

In the main UI, there are several buttons at the top which have no labels. There is also a Menu button, but when I open that, i can only navigate through the first menu, which looks to me like a typica File menu. Other menus such as View or Help don't seem to be reachable, pressing Right Arrow or such doesn't get me there. It appears the new Electron app does not adhere to the menu bar design pattern fully yet. Also, the unlabeled buttons should definitely get labels so a screen reader user knows what they are.

To reproduce these, use any of the screen readers Narrator, NVDA or JAWS. Then:

1. Log into your account.
  2. When in the Search field, press Escape so the screen reader goes into their virtual cursor mode.
  3. Press CTRL+Home to go to the beginning. You'll land on the Menu button.
  4. Now press DownArrow, listening to each line the screen reader reads to you. You may see visually where the screen reader tries to put the focus, so you can see which unlabeled buttons the screen reader walks across.
  5. Go back up to the menu button and press Space.
  6. The menu opens and you can down arrow.
  7. Try to right arrow to move horizontally through the menu system.

Result: The other menus cannot be reached.

Thanks!

Marco

1Password Version: 8.4.1
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: Windows 11 Pro, Version 21H2 (Build 22000.376)

Comments

• Hi @MarcoZ:

Thanks for asking, and I'd be happy to help you out with this!

There's two things at play here, and I'd like to go over them each in turn.

Number 1 is that we do not have a menu bar in the sense of File, Edit, View, Help, etc. anymore. The only menu option we have is the 1Password menu as you've mentioned.

Number 2 is the window controls, minimize, maximize, close, in that order. While I don't know specifically why they're not given the proper names when using a screen reader, I was able to replicate this issue, so I'll file it for you as it is something that we can definitely improve on in the future.

Thanks again for your detailed feedback here, and be sure to get in touch if you have any more questions or concerns!

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#12065

• MarcoZ
    MarcoZ
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @jack.platten, thank you for your reply! The question I then have regarding the menu system: How do I access the other menus? I seem to be able to only go down the most left of the menus which doesn't give me all the options. Specifically, I don't seem to be able to reach the menu that has the account info, like the secret key which I can copy. So while there is no longer a traditional menu bar, the menu system itself seems to behave similarly to one, but not quite. Am I missing something, or is there indeed some functionality missing for keyboard users?

Thanks!

Marco

• Hi @MarcoZ:

Thanks for your additional information! Sorry I may not have been completely clear, but the menu that you were referring to is the only menu analogous to 1Password 7's menu bar.

If you'd like to access your Secret Key information, this can be done via the following steps:
    1. Press Ctrl-Home to navigate to the 1Password text.
    2. Use Tab to navigate through the buttons until the menu either named "All Accounts" or your name is selected (this will depend on if you have one or multiple 1Password accounts added to the 1Password app).
    3. Use Enter or Space to open this menu.
    4. Use the arrow keys to navigate down in this menu until "Set Up Another Device" is highlighted, use Enter or Space to select this option.
    5. This will open the Set Up Another Device dialog, with the cursor on the account selector. If the account selected is not the one you would like to copy the Secret Key for, press Enter or Space to open the account selector, and pick from the options.
    6. Once you have selected the appropriate account, press Tab once, and confirm that "Account Details" is selected.
    7. After "Account Details" is selected, press Tab until you have selected the third "Copy" button. Press Enter or Space to copy your Secret Key.

Let me know how you get on with that, or if you still need some assistance getting your Secret Key copied!

Jack

• MarcoZ
    MarcoZ
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @jack.platten Thanks for these instructions! I've now found it, although when you're used to the older app versions, this appears to be quite hidden away. ;-)

Anyway, now that I have seen that screen, and was able to copy my secret key, I have some suggestions for accessibility fixes here as well:

1. The additional menu items for the URL, e-mail address, and Secret Key fields need labels. They are spoken as "unlabeled 1 menu button", etc.
    2. Like the object details screens, some grouping information should be applied so screen readers speak automatically the new group one moved into, so the "Copy" buttons are not spoken entirely out of context. This works very well in the details screen of a login object, for example, so it would be cool if the same technique could be applied here so the screen becomes more intuitive when tabbing through.

Thanks!

Marco

• Hey @MarcoZ:

Thanks for your feedback here on this, I've noted it internally as we continue to improve our accessibility options for everyone.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.