[MAC] Inconsistent menu styles

Options
snozdop
snozdop
Community Member

In the main 1Password 8 window you get two different menu styles containing almost exactly the same items (just one difference) depending on where and how you access the menu:

If you right-click on the item in the middle pane, you get a macOS standard style menu.

If you click on the 3-dots at the top-right of the right pane, you get a custom style menu.

In the interests of maintaining consistent UI design, shouldn't both these be the same style?

1Password Version: 8.5.0 (80500067)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

These types of inconsistencies are the ones that really bug me too.

I agree that these should be consistent.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

Different kind of menus or menus with scrollbars although you have more than enough screnspace and on top of it a closing "X" top right corner of every (sub)-window. Lots of usability problems, broken or missing functionality. The forum is full of posts about it. Sadly Agilebits simple doesn't care about macOS any longer. The UI is now the least common denominator between Windows, macOS and Linux.

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member
    Options

I know this was posted over Christmas and was probably missed, but I wonder if anyone from 1Password has any comment on this issue?

• xazac
    xazac
    Community Member
    Options

+1

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

I don't know of any plans to change this, but I will make the point to our design team for their consideration. Thank you for bringing it up. :+1:

Ben

• rekoil
    rekoil
    Community Member
    Options

They can't easily change this, it is a fact of Electron, you'll see the same in Slack, Teams, etc. You can't skin (right click) context menus because they are an OS feature.

You could disable them entirely by implementing a click handler at the lowest level of the electron app and calling evt.preventDefault() in it, and then implement your own context menu component I guess, but I bet that's a lot more work to get it to render consistently, fill it with contextually useful information, and at the end of the day it loses out on behaviour we expect from context menus such as automatically closing when focus is lost, or being able to render outside of the window (if they fit, they should always render to the bottom right of the cursor, regardless of the current apps window size).

You can make such a context menu disappear when focus is lost quite easily I bet, but rendering outside the window as we expect context menus to do is a hard no. 1Password will now have to spend UX designer time figuring out how to make good context menus, and if there are subtle differences between OS:es then they will likely miss those, making the app feel out of place.

This discussion has been closed.