Mojave Safari 14.1.2 is super slow when the extension is enabled

Options
agilebits_niaow
agilebits_niaow
Community Member
edited December 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi,
this issue was already raised in the past (cf link at the end) but it is definitely present on my setup.

I noticed starting a few weeks/months ago that Safari started to be extremely slow at loading web pages.
The progression bar essentially staying frozen for about 5 seconds (but sometimes double or triple that) before finally starting to very slowly load the page.

Loading the same page on other (up to date) browsers like Chrome or Firefox (where the extension is not installed) results in instant loading. I tried this on multiple pages, that result is extremely consistent.

This has been annoying me a lot for quite a while and today I finally disabled all Safari extensions in order to figure out if the issue was Safari or extensions.
-> quit Safari. Reopened it.
-> page loading went back to the expected instant load.

I then re-enabled the 1Password extension:

• Safari froze for about 10 seconds with the spinning beachball (definitely not an acceptable behavior in the first place)
  • Page loading went back to being horrendously slow.

So, clearly, the 1Password extension is responsible for the slowness.

My setup:

• Mojave 10.14.6
  • Safari 14.1.2
  • 1Password 7 / Version 7.9.2 (70902005) / 1Password Store

May be relevant to the situation:

• There are several dozens of Safari windows opened on a dozen of distinct screens.
  • Each Safari window hosts several dozen tabs.

I have not tried to quit all those Safari windows/tabs but I presume this may help if the work done by the extension increases with the number of opened pages (maybe a caching system which a polynomial/exponential cost as a function of the number of entries (pages)?).

In any case, I am looking forward seeing a fix for this behavior.
I am also fine with testing diagnostic or beta versions on my setup if the need should arise.

Also important note: this slowness is a recent phenomenon, a few months ago, this was not happening.

Cheers.

Old issue forum link:
https://1password.community/discussion/114526/why-does-the-1password-macos-safari-extension-take-14-bounces-to-load-when-chrome-only-takes-3

1Password Version: 7.9.2
Extension Version: 7.9.2
OS Version: 10.14.6
Referrer: forum-search:safari 14 extension slow

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@agilebits_niaow:

I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• agilebits_niaow
    agilebits_niaow
    Community Member
    edited December 2021
    Options

Thanks for your reply @ag_ana, should I run the diagnostic tool with the extension enabled or disabled (or both)?

• agilebits_niaow
    agilebits_niaow
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana I have sent the Diagnostic Report (with extension enabled).
    Ticket number is [#DBH-98323-622].

Cheers.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@agilebits_niaow:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your diagnostics report in our system :+1: We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: DBH-98323-622

• agilebits_niaow
    agilebits_niaow
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana Any news about this?
    I still have to keep the extension uninstalled if I want to enjoy reasonable loading times for Safari pages.
    If you guys cannot reproduce this issue I would gladly run tests for you if needed.

Cheers.

This discussion has been closed.