Improved way to input single-use backup codes?

Options

Hi there,

I'm not sure if this is a feature that hasn't yet made its way to the beta, but more and more I'm seeing sites offer a handful of single-use backup codes. Right now, there's not a good and user friendly way to store them.

I've found that I either:

1. Have to save the passwords in a single password field (which is "secure" but hard to use, consume, and track).
  2. Have to save each individual password as a OTP (which I'm not sure if how the field should be used)
  3. Save the OTP list in an unsecured plaintext field
  4. Create a secure note corresponding to the site.

It would be great to have (maybe with the QR reader) a textarea for pasting these recovery/backup codes and to have 1P parse it into a better structured format.

Of course, this may exist and it might just not be discoverable/intuitive for this particular user :)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• MerryBit
    MerryBit
    Community Member
    Options

Provided you store the TOTP secret in 1Password, in what scenario do you see yourself needing these backup codes at all? I can't imagine any situation where I would need these, so I never save backup codes to 1Password.

• reinhard76
    reinhard76
    Community Member
    Options

I paste those into the notes field. Nothing in 1PW in unsecured.

• I also paste mine into the notes field. It may be an old habit on my end, having been around for a very long time. It's also useful to customize the note with Markdown formatting. As I get older I find this makes the note more readable. YMMV. :chuffed:

📝 Format your secure notes with Markdown

This discussion has been closed.