Bank accounts: Copy IBAN / Rename SWIFT

Options

Copy IBAN

I often use Quick Access to fill in my bank account information in online shops. Unfortunately, I can only choose the account number (which no one uses) instead of the (mainly used) IBAN. IBAN has to be accessible to copy from Quick Access.

Rename SWIFT
In Germany, the SWIFT field is named BIC. It would be nice, if 1Password could use BIC over SWIFT label, if the language was set to German.

1Password Version: 8.5.0
Extension Version: 2.2.2
OS Version: macOS 12.1

Comments

• r22
    r22
    Community Member
    Options

I think BIC is used in Europe in general? (Finland here, we use BIC) But yes, yes, yes +1.

In short, SWIFT is the name of the overall messaging system, and BIC is the code used for the system—or the 'Bank Identifier Code'. Both terms are used interchangeably to describe the code, or even the system. This means that if you request your SWIFT or BIC code, you'll receive the exact same 8-11 digit number. Source.

So maybe SWIFT/BIC for the name? Or maybe we just have to accept that SWIFT means the same.

I apparently can’t copy anything quickly from a bank account item I’ve already created because I’ve removed the kinda-nonsensical “account number” as an entry and just use IBAN (IBAN shows up in iOS app’s favorites Quick Access menu though or whatever it is) because that’s what everyone uses. Maybe it’s not the same practice everywhere? But I can’t just create a new field and name it ‘account number’ to make to show up in Quick Access.

• Generic1PasswordUser
    Options

Same principal if set to UK - we use Account Number but Sort Code rather than SWIFT or BIC.

• PeterG_1P
    edited January 2022
    Options

Hi @dmacx, thanks for bringing this to our attention (and thank you as well for your helpful additions, @Generic1PasswordUser and @r22 . I don't know that I would have known about this SWIFT / BIC international discrepancy had you not brought it up. One learns something new every day around here! 😃

In Germany, the SWIFT field is named BIC. It would be nice, if 1Password could use BIC over SWIFT label, if the language was set to German.

I have filed an issue with our developers to see if we can implement appropriate European localizations of this field for future versions of 1Password. Thanks for bringing this up for us. 👍

ref: dev/core/core#12031

Thanks for surfacing the Quick Access IBAN workflow issue you encountered as well.

In case it's helpful, here's one way you can copy / paste this data:

1. Bring up Quick Access using the appropriate hotkeys for your system
    2. Search for the bank account item
    3. When the item appears, left-click on it
    4. If you have saved your IBAN data into the Bank Account item's IBAN field, it should be present here. Click that field to copy it to your clipboard.

Here's what it looks like when I tried it on a Windows system. Let me know if this works for you!

If it would be more helpful for us to present this a different way, feel free to leave a suggestion here. I'll be happy to pass it on to our development team on your behalf. Thanks! 😃

• dmacx
    dmacx
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your response, @PeterG_1P!

Switching to BIC means improving the accessibility for new users in the EU who are not Beta Users. Don't wait to long to implement this.

Accessing IBAN

I can't use Quick Access the way you demonstrated this because 1Password is offering "BLZ", "Kontonummer", "SWIFT" (German) to copy. If I want to copy the IBAN I have to select the option "open in new window", pressing six times the arrow key (I prefer the keyboard instead of using the mouse) and then return to copy it. Every time. It's frustrating.

Therefore, it's important for EU members to bring IBAN to the front of Quick Access.

My recommendations:

In both windows, I would prefer the following implementation:

Please remember: In Germany, we say "Objekt kopieren" (copy object, for example) and not "Objekt Kopieren" with a big K letter.
    Is there any way to help you to translate 1Password 8?

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

About the workflow: at least in Germany, the IBAN is used everywhere for bank transfers and digital payment as sole and main account information. This is what you will use almost exclusively. Sometimes BIC is asked in addition, but it usually not. (BIC is what seems to be called SWIFT if I create a new bank account entry in 1Password 8).

Bank account number and routing number (in Germany: BLZ or Bankleitzahl) are not asked any more since IBAN has been established. You do rarely use them in correspondence with your bank, and nowhere else any more. Getting account number and routing number offered in quick access and IBAN+BIC not is not helpful. It needs to be the other way round: IBAN and BIC should be offered, but bank account number and routing number not. You will simply never use account number and routing number this way.

Some banks might use the account number as username for login to their online banking, but this would be an additional associated online-banking "login" entry, not in the bank account entry. At least I use use 2 different entries for my main bank account, since it is not practical to save the online banking login info along with the regular bank account info. It would be a mess if I did.

• Thanks for your input @Tertius3 and @dmacx! :smile:

Additionally, I've noted your feedback about the the capitalization internally.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.