Firefox: import all passwords into 1Password?

Options

Hello! I am new to 1Password, and am still in the trial period.

Transferring passwords stored in Firefox to 1Password one at a time is a tedious business. Is there no way to import all the Firefox-saved passwords into 1Password in one go?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

On the Desktop version of Firefox, you can export saved Logins as CSV, and from there you can use a Desktop version of 1Password, or 1Password.com to import CSV files.

I don't believe this can be done via the Mobile version (I've only looked at iPadOS).

What do you have?

• Dogmatix
    Dogmatix
    Community Member
    Options

I have a PC running Windows 10, the desktop 1Password, and the 1Password extension for Firefox (which I prefer) and for Chrome (which my wife prefers, as it synchronises on her Android tablet & smartphone). It occurs to me that if I am going to continue with 1Password, I'll also have to import her passwords - I suppose Chrome can also export saved logins in the same way?

• Dogmatix
    Dogmatix
    Community Member
    Options

"On the Desktop version of Firefox, you can export saved Logins as CSV" - yep, done that. That's the easy bit.

"and from there you can use a Desktop version of 1Password [...] to import CSV files." Ah... where is the "import CSV files" function? It's not in "Settings", it's not in the pull-down menu on my name. Export, yes, saw that, but where is import?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@Drogmatix,

I think 1Password 8 does not yet have importing. I presume you have a 1Password.com account, where you can import CSV.

Otherwise, you'll need to use 1Password 7 for Windows.

• Dogmatix
    Dogmatix
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, MrC, I have managed to import the logins. I had to play around a bit with the column imports. The FireFox times created, last used and changed only come over as useless number strings, so I excluded them.

I'm a bit surprised by your comments that 1PW 8 does not YET have importing, and your implication that 1PW 7 does. What else has been 'improved' by omission?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2022
    Options

@Dogmatix

Great that you have exported and now imported.

The date numeric values are Unix epoch time (in milliseconds rather than the standard seconds). The modified and created timestamps can be converted if you need / care about them, and used in the import. But you will need the csv converter in the converter suite , and you will either want to divide those values by 1000 (and remove the fractional part) and run that converter, or I can customize the converter for you to do this. I could convert the Last Used value for you as well, but since 1Password has no equivalent field, it isn't much use.

The firefox converter suite used to be able to directly decode Firefox passwords, but I have not had the time to update it since they changed their encryption schemes.

1Password 8 is an entirely new app, so it isn't improved by omission; rather some functionality isn't completed yet.

I'm not a 1Password employee, so am not speaking for them. Just helping you as I can, and passing along what I understand to be true.

• @Dogmatix

At the moment .csv import is not available for 1Password 8. That said, if you're able to export your Firefox or Chrome passwords to a .csv format, you can still import them to your 1Password account on 1password.com. There's a handy guide here.

If your wife has her own set of passwords, I'd highly recommend considering the 1Password for Families plan. This way you can each have your own 1Password vault and maintain your private credentials separated. Let me know if this is something you'd like to do, and we'll be happy to help get you both setup.

This discussion has been closed.