Start windowsapplication from passwordentry

forest85
forest85
Community Member

I would love to see a feature where i could start a exe or bat-file with 1password-entry fields as args.
I.E. instead of a url-field i could choose a windows-app field and enter a syntax there so i could quickly start that also from the Ctrl+Shift+Space quick access dialog

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11

Comments

• PeterG_1P
    edited January 2022

Hi @forest85 - thanks for this suggestion!

While it could be very handy in some circumstances, I've had discussions with some our security team members here who highlighted potential concerns around this being used for malicious code execution. The challenge is that adding the ability to save executable paths / apps instead of http(s) URLs, for example, could open the door to a number of vulnerabilities that don't currently exist in 1Password.

So, if this kind of feature is something that is implemented in the future, we'll have to devote substantial resources ahead of time to making sure that we've made it safe from the get-go. And in the spirit of honesty, it's very possible that the benefits of this feature might not be worth it for the additional security engineering required, as well as the potential complexity it adds to a given users' own security considerations.

It's possible that many users will feel better about their overall data security knowing that something like this isn't possible in 1Password, in fact.

I hope this helps clarify where we're at on this right now, and why. We do appreciate the suggestion, and are always happy to have your feedback! 🙂

This discussion has been closed.