Is there a recommended way I can encrypt the secret key so I can just write them on paper?

Options
gasses_bird
gasses_bird
Community Member

I am not comfortable printing my emergency kit in plain text and put inside a safe. Is there a recommended way I can encrypt the secret key using a phrase, and when I need it, I can decrypt it without a computer?

Some cipher should do the trick, right? Is there any recommendation? I looked into a few like Caesar cipher and similar ones, but they do not work well with numbers.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

@gasses_bird Your secret key is designed to protect your data on 1Password's servers. It's your account password that keeps your data safe on your devices.

All your devices have an unencrypted slightly obfuscated copy of the secret key because it is required to login to your account. It is the physical distance between the 1Password servers and your devices which makes it a very powerful security measure. Printing it out on paper and putting in a safe makes it even more secure.

Further encrypting the secret key would increase the risk of lock-out. So, if you're concerned about a local attacker, make sure you have a strong account password and take a look at your device security.

• gasses_bird
    gasses_bird
    Community Member
    Options

I also don’t want to make my email and url in plain text

• Thanks for your input @OlivierP! :smile:

This discussion has been closed.