How do you change the type of an existing field on an item in 1Password 8?

Options
davidgeary
davidgeary
Community Member

Having just upgraded to 1Password 8, there no longer appears to be a way to change the type of an existing field. (Clicking on a field only seems to offer a remove the field.)

1Password Version: 8.4.1
Extension Version: 2.2.1
OS Version: Windows 10
Referrer: forum-search:change field type

Comments

• AliH1P
    edited January 2022
    Options

Hey @davidgeary, it is not currently possible to change field types in 1Password 8. With that said, we currently have an internal issue where I'll pass your comment along to our developers to show that there is interest in this feature.

Thanks!

ref: dev/core/core#9759

• davidgeary
    davidgeary
    Community Member
    Options

I'm a bit surprised it's not already in the v8 roadmap, given that it's been a feature of 1Password for as long as I've been using it. I'd also consider it fairly fundamental if only because we're all human and make mistakes. Having to delete a field and recreate it, just to change the type, seems pretty poor.

Alternatively, perhaps when you're promoting new versions, you could provide a list of features you've removed, so we can make an informed decision before upgrading?

• Hi @davidgeary:

I completely understand the need for this, and while I can't make any promises, I do hope we can improve on the state of play here in the future. Thank you very much for taking the time to offer your feedback and help us make 1Password the best it can be!

Jack

• LarryPieniazek
    LarryPieniazek
    Community Member
    Options

would really like to see this feature added. I don't even see how to change the type of a new field in a section, it seems I need to create a new section ... all my fields are type "website" which is wrong, as I want "copy" to be the default behaviour

• AliH1P
    Options

Hey @LarryPieniazek, thanks for reaching out. I've added your comment to the internal issue to further highlight user interest in this feature. Thanks!

Ali

IDEA-I-530

• FlyingCarpet
    FlyingCarpet
    Community Member
    Options

I too want to be able to change the field type. This often comes up when a product registration newly requires a login account. Thank you!

• AliH1P
    Options

Hi @FlyingCarpet, thanks for describing a common use case. I'll add your voice to the internal issue as well. Thanks!

Ali

ref: IDEA-I-530

• Hi @OlivierP:

I've added your thoughts to the issue we have tracking this. Thanks!

Jack

• hstenzel
    hstenzel
    Community Member
    Options

@Jack.P_1P I'd like to pile on this one as well. Thanks!

• Vote added for you, @hstenzel. Thank you! 🙌

• danito
    danito
    Community Member
    Options

I also support this. Just wanted to improve my security by changing a bunch of text fields to password fields so that the content can be hidden, but found out that it is no longer possible..

• Hi @danito, we appreciate your support of this feature request and I've cast a vote on your behalf. Thanks!

• GDIAZJ
    GDIAZJ
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, is there a tentative date to have this feature enabled?

• Hello @GDIAZJ,

Thanks for your follow up here about the ability to change the field type in 1Password 8. I'm unable to make any promises about when or if this feature will make a return. I have no other news to share, but I've added you feedback to the issue we're tracking with the team.

Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

ref: dev/core/core#6824

• dc111
    dc111
    Community Member
    Options

Please bring back this feature... it's so frustrating to be punished for paying for the new version.

• Thanks for your feedback, @dc111 - I've let the team know that you're looking to see this feature make a return to 1Password 8.

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @OlivierP, thanks for adding your vote here! I've passed your feedback along to the team as well 😄

• SemoTech
    SemoTech
    Community Member
    Options

It is now over 6 months later in June 11th 2023 and changing existing field types is STILL not possible with latest 1PW v8.10.7 for Mac

Combined with the changes for the global search I find 1PW8 to be a big step backwards!

When are you actually bringing back the previous field type change ability???

• 1P_Gem
    edited June 2023
    Options

Hi @SemoTech, thanks for checking in about this! We do apologise for any inconvenience caused here, and I've passed your feedback along to the team.

I don't have any progress updates to share about this at the moment - this is something our team are still looking into, as a lot of field types have become more specialized over time and are not as easily interchangeable. You can keep an eye on our release notes page for news on any new features and bug fixes: 1Password Releases

If you have any additional feedback, let us know 😄

• SemoTech
    SemoTech
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @1P_Gem, appreciate the reply, even tho it is the same canned reply we have received forever.

We have been waiting since 1PW v8 came out, and while touted as an improvement, v8 seems like a big step backwards. This is also a reason to keep v7 around as long as possible so things like field types can be changed/fixed.

Why not just improve 1PW v7 if you're going to remove great features that have been around forever?

Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.