Touch ID is unavailable when your macbook lid is closed

user_forum_1pwd
user_forum_1pwd
Community Member
edited January 2022 in Mac

Hello,

I have a macbook air M1, connected to an external screen.
The macbook lid is closed, I'm not in a dual screen configuration, I'm only working on the external screen.
I'm using an Apple magic Touch ID keyboard (this one : https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK293LL/A/magic-keyboard-with-touch-id-for-mac-models-with-apple-silicon-us-english).

So, when I login onto the computer, after a mac os screen lock timeout for example, 1password is locked (which is normal).
I was used to unlock 1password with my keyboard Touch ID but it seems it's not possible any more ?

I have now a 1password popup which says "Touch Id is unavailable when your macbook lid is closed".
EDIT : I should have precised, it comes from the Firefox's 1password extension, when I'm trying to fill a log/pwd form.

I have several computers but I'm pretty sure it was working before, through the Touch ID from the external keyboard.

Is there a way to re-enable the old behavior (which existed according to me) and unlock 1password whatever the macbook is closed or not ?

Thank you
Regards,
Arnaud

1Password Version: 7.9.1
Extension Version: 2.2.1
OS Version: 11.6.2

Comments

• Hello @user_forum_1pwd! 👋

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble using Touch ID on your Magic Keyboard to unlock 1Password for Mac when your Macbook's lid is closed. We introduced support for the Magic Keyboard for M1 Macs with version 7.8.7 of 1Password for Mac. Can you make sure that you're using the latest version of 1Password for Mac:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    2. Click on 1Password 7 next to the  in the menu bar.
    3. Click on About 1Password.

If you see version 7.9.2 then you're running the latest version. If you see an earlier version then please update using this guide: How to keep 1Password up to date

If that still doesn't work, or if you're already using version 7.9.2 then please restart your Mac and then try to unlock 1Password again. Let me know how it goes. :)

• user_forum_1pwd
    user_forum_1pwd
    Community Member

Hi Dave,

I've upgraded to 7.9.2 (from 7.9.1), it didn't work at first but it works again after a reboot.
    Thank you !

Regards,
    Arnaud

• @user_forum_1pwd I'm happy to hear that everything is working again. :)

• marcushe
    marcushe
    Community Member
    edited January 2022

Hello - I have 7.9.2 and the issue persists. The TouchID dialogue does not work in other Apple password dialogues - so this is an Apple issue and not a 1Password issue. Could the 1Password development team use their developer connections to enter a priority ticket to Apple for this issue? Really hurting productivity. It takes some combination of unplugging the TouchID keyboard and opening / closing the MacBook - which mine is in a vertical dock - so opening / closing it is a pain. Thanks so much!

• @marcushe

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble using Touch ID on your Macbook. Since Touch ID is working for other users I would suggest reaching out to Apple Support so that they can investigate why Touch ID is not working as expected on your Macbook: Official Apple Support

Out of curiosity, are you using an Intel Mac or an Apple Silicon Mac?

• marcushe
    marcushe
    Community Member

Thank you Dave! A M1 Apple Silicon as the TouchID keyboard will only work with M1 Macs. Hopefully Apple will get around to fixing this....

• Thanks for the update @marcushe. Please do let us know what you find about this.

Ben

• ibalogh
    ibalogh
    Community Member

I ran into the same problem but managed to fix it by doing the following steps:

• Go to system preferences -> Touch ID
    • Make sure the checkbox "iTunes Store, App Store, & Apple books" is checked
    • If it doesn't allow you to check that box, uncheck "Apple Pay" and check both again

After checking all checkboxes, I can unlock my mac and 1Password with the magic keyboard even when the lid is closed.

• Nice job there ibalogh.

This discussion has been closed.