How to choose my Master password on my Mac for 1Password ?

Yomeno
Yomeno
Community Member

I have several Macs and iPhone/iPad. On each of them, I use a password to unlock 1Password that is different from my online 1Password account.
I had to reinstall my iMac today after a hard drive crash and it seems impossible to set my old password on this new installation. I can only use the password from my 1Password online account.
This one is safe, but long and hard to write without making mistakes. And when you have to type it 50 times a day, it is really annoying.
How can I use another password on my iMac to get the same one as on the other devices without changing my online account password?
Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.9.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 11.6.2

Comments

• Hello @Yomeno! 👋

I'm sorry to hear that your Mac crashed. The 1Password for Mac app is unlocked using the password of the first account or vault added to the app. If you were using a password that is not your 1Password account password to unlock the app before the crash then is it possible that you had a standalone vault or another account added to the app in addition to your 1Password account?

On your other devices do you see a "Primary" standalone vault? Standalone vaults are not part of your 1Password account and have their own password.

If your Mac supports Touch ID then I recommend enabling Touch ID for 1Password on your Mac which will save you from having to type in your account password in order to unlock 1Password: Use Touch ID to unlock 1Password on your Mac :)

• Yomeno
    Yomeno
    Community Member

Hello @Dave_1P,
    Thanks for your answer. I don't have Touch ID yet (it's for the next Mac ;) )
    I completely reset 1Password from help menu.
    Then, I reopen it. I didn't find how to create a local vault. But I could add an old version of a vault in my Dropbox with my old vault password.
    Finaly, I add my 1password.com account and it's work !
    If, for any reason, I have to change this master password in the future, is there a procedure ?
    Thanks.

• @Yomeno In general, I don't recommend a "hybrid" setup where you have both your 1Password account and a standalone Primary vault added to the 1Password for Mac app since the Primary vault isn't part of your 1Password account and so isn't backed up to your account. Ideally you would migrate the Primary vault to your account and use only your 1Password account.

Perhaps choosing an account password that is easier to type in but that is still secure would be a better option. Or you can configure auto-lock settings for 1Password for Mac so that they better fit your needs: How to set 1Password to lock automatically

That being said, to change the password for the Primary standalone vault you can follow these steps:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    2. Select the standalone Primary vault.
    3. Click on 1Password 7 next to the  in the menu bar.
    4. Click on Preferences.
    5. Click on Security.
    6. Click on Change Master Password.

When using a Primary vault, this will only change the Master Password to unlock the app, and not your account password. Let me know if that helps. :)

• Yomeno
    Yomeno
    Community Member

Hello @Dave_1P,
    Yes it helps ! Thanks a lot.

• @Yomeno It's my pleasure. :)

This discussion has been closed.