Suggestion: Make 'Archive' a default hidden Vault

Options

This is what I've been doing since 2013. Hope this helps in some way.

Issue:

• Keeping 'Archive' and 'Delete' next to each other is a little confusing for most users.
  • Users delete when they don't want an item in their account anymore.
  • And they archive when they don't use it now, but may want to keep it in case they need to access it at a later time.

Solution:
1. 'Archive' being a hidden Vault 'Tab' shown in Preferences.
2. 'Archive' being a hidden Vault in the side bar (below all Vaults), but can be shown when toggled in Preferences menu.

Let me explain.

• All archived items will have the same privileges and rules as any other Vault, so user can also search, edit, move back an item to any other Vault & delete as well.
  • Since it is not part of the main UI, meaning it is archived & so mostly not needed by the user immediately. It keeps the UI clean.
  • As a feature, during an extended search - user can be also given the option to search within archive items if they need to.

What I did all these years:

• I have had a vault named 'Archive' for a long time now.
  • It is deselected in 'All Vaults' in all my devices; but when I need to search for item in this vault, I then select it specifically to search in it.
  • This has worked great for me all these years; as for some reason there has always been a need to access archived items from time to time.

Lastly, I must say I was quite excited when I first saw 'Archive' as an option - but wasn't able to use it since, it was quite confusing & also made me quite skeptical if I might delete any items without realising as it is closer to the 'Deleted Items' + also in fear as to not sure how it works, if it might not give me the functionality of search when needed later & so on.

This is what has stopped me from using Archive till now. Anyways, I am taking the time to write this, because I know you have a great team in there to see what I mean & would do the right thing. Jus wanted to chip in as a long term 1Password user.

Kudos & best wishes.

1Password Version: V8.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.1

Comments

• rpallred
    rpallred
    Community Member
    Options

I like this idea.

• Hey @sjk09:

This is an absolutely great idea, and I've added your input to an internal feature request. While I can't promise if or when this is something that can be added, our developers regularly go over our feature requests to see if they're changes or improvements that make sense to add to 1Password. :smile:

Jack

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#1179

• sjk09
    sjk09
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @jack.platten, appreciate the gesture. I understand, and will look forward to future updates. Best to your team.

This discussion has been closed.