Autofill doesn't work in Brave but in Chrome on the same device

jonashilmersson
jonashilmersson
Community Member

Hi,
I'm using the Brave browser (v1.34.80) on a Sony Xperia (G8441) with Android 9 (v47.2.A.11.228) and I can't get the Autofill to work. I've setup the Autofill, Accessibility and Autofill preview and in Brave I've turned of password saving and initiate session automatically. The strange thing is that if I use Chrome (v97.0.4692.87) it works, but not in Brave.

Brgds

Jonas

1Password Version: 7.9.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 9
Referrer: forum-search:brave

Comments

• Hi Jonas! Have you restarted the Brave browser after turning on Autofill? If you haven’t done so, please close Brave from the Recents screen and start it again. We’ve found restarting the app can help in some cases. Let us know if that does the trick!

• jonashilmersson
    jonashilmersson
    Community Member

Hi,

I restarted my device and now I can see the Autofill preview for a specific web page, but then the ordinary autofill from Brave shows up. If I reload the page the preview shows again, so it seems a little bit flaky.

Brgds

Jonas

• jonashilmersson
    jonashilmersson
    Community Member

Hi again,

After the restart as described above it worked for a while, and then it stopped working. I had to close Brave to get it to work again so it doesn't feel stable.

Brgds

Jonas

• landale
    landale
    Community Member

I have had the same issues with Brave since the release of 1Password 7.9.1 due to the forced use of inline autofill. I just upgraded to the new 7.9.2 beta which gives the option of going back to the dropdown menu option and now 1Password works perfectly with Brave again.

• Hi @landale thanks for letting us know the new option in the beta helped! If switching to the dropdown menu allowed you to consistently fill in Brave it would suggest to me there is an issue with the keyboard's suggestion strip.

Hello @jonashilmersson thanks for giving that a try.

I'd like to ask you to try turning password saving off in Brave: open brave > ⋮ > Passwords > Save Passwords off. Additionally, do you have the login for the website you tested listed under saved passwords in Brave passwords settings? If so, make sure you have that login information saved in 1Password then try deleting it from the list in Brave. With password saving off and the login removed from the saved password list in Brave do you see any change in behavior?

• landale
    landale
    Community Member

@ag_timothy I believe the issue is how Brave works with Android's inline autofill. There are bug reports about this on the Brave support site going back all the way to 2019 and not just with 1Password but with Bitwarden as well. Other browsers such as Chrome and Vivaldi do not have the same issues so I agree this isn't an issue with 1Password as much as 1Password made it an issue when it forced the use of inline autofill with 7.9.1. Thankfully 7.9.2 brings back the dropdown option which not only works better with Brave but works better on tablets when using a physical keyboard.

• jonashilmersson
    jonashilmersson
    Community Member

Hi @ag_timothy,

I already disabled password saving in Brave and also don't have any saved password there anymore.

It usually starts to work if I close the Brave browser and then start it again which loads the web page again, and then manually reload the page once more. Then the Autofill from 1Password kicks in, not before.

Brgds

Jonas

• Hi @landale thanks for clarifying that! I understand what you mean and I'm glad to hear 7.9.2 Beta 1 has helped resolve that issue.

@jonashilmersson Thanks for checking that. I'd like to ask you to update to the beta and turn inline Autofill off as landale suggested.

After updating you can open and unlock 1Password, tap Settings > Autofill and turn Display Autofill suggestion inline off. With that setting off is Autofill in Brave more consistent?

• jonashilmersson
    jonashilmersson
    Community Member

Hi,

I've tried the beta and the behavior is the same. I need close Brave to get the prompt to open 1Password and get the Autofill values. I turned off the preview as requested.

Brgds
    Jonas

• @jonashilmersson Can you let us know what keyboard you're using on your device? Also, go to Brave's settings, then tap Passwords, and make sure Auto Sign-in is disabled as well as Save passwords.

Finally, try turning off Autofill and Accessibility one at a time, in 1Password's settings. Check if you're able to fill with just one of those options enabled.

• jonashilmersson
    jonashilmersson
    Community Member

Hi,

Now I've played around a little and it seems like it works if I disable Autofill and enable Accessibility. Both Brave and Chrome works (Auto sign-in and Save password disabled), and also apps like Spotify and others. One that doesn't work is ViewClix (https://viewclix.com/) which only fills the user name, not the password.

Brgds

Jonas

• Thanks for checking that, @jonashilmersson. Ideally, you would be able to fill with Autofill on your device. Were you able to fill in Chrome and Brave with just Autofill enabled? Also, do you have the latest versions of Brave and 1Password installed at this point?

• jonashilmersson
    jonashilmersson
    Community Member

It doesn't work if I change to only use Autofill instead. I have the latest version of both Brave and 1Password from what I can see.

• Thanks for following up with me, @jonashilmersson. This may be an issue with how Autofill is implemented in Chromium, and I've reported it to our development to look into. ref: dev/android/onepassword-android#841

This discussion has been closed.