Cannot access existing vault (local on my mac) from newly installed 1P extension

Options

I'm a longtime 1P user in Safari. I am switching to Brave today. I downloaded the 1P extension and logged in and it is now running in Brave. However, in Brave 1P does not see my primary vault which is not my Personal vault, it is a vault local to my MAC. I have tried everything I can think of.

1Password Version: 7.9.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Catalina 10.15.7
Referrer: forum-search: Cannot access existing vault (local on my mac) from newly installed 1P extension in Brave

Comments

• @joe_t900

It sounds like you downloaded and installed 1Password in the browser. It only works with memberships. It is not possible to use t with a Primary vault. If you have a membership, I recommend moving all of your data into the membership and removing the Primary vault. It's best not to have two competing sync mechanisms working simultaneously as it can cause trouble with where data is saved, and you may end up with data on one device and not another, for example.

• joe_t900
    joe_t900
    Community Member
    Options

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. I need to take it slower... Yes, I installed 1P in the Brave browser. I have a membership and have had one for years. Don't know what you mean by "it only works with memberships." Do you mean that the Brave browser extension is only capable of seeing the Personal vault which is stored on a 1P server? Not sure what you mean by competing sync mechanisms. I have a primary vault file on my mac and I have a 1P application. Why can't two browsers access that file? What could be simpler - in theory? Thanks for your interest in helping me here!

• Do you mean that the Brave browser extension is only capable of seeing the Personal vault which is stored on a 1P server?

Yes.

Not sure what you mean by competing sync mechanisms.

The Primary vault would have been synced via a 3rd party setup if it were indeed syncing. Some examples are Dropbox and iCloud. Your Personal/Private vault and any additional vaults that you created in your membership would be synced via 1Password.com.

Yes, multiple browsers can access 1Password. I have ~ 5 set up to access my membership. Safari, Chrome, Firefox, and a few Chrome-based variants.

Welcome to the community. The staff are here to help, and you'll also get great advice from other members of the community. Have fun.

• Please remember this is a public community. All posts are for public consumption. If you'd like to email us at any time the conversations would be more one on one and private in nature.
This discussion has been closed.