1password X on Windows 10?

Options
robert1p
robert1p
Community Member

I'm new to 1password, but I see there are two browser extensions. I decided to install 1password X, but I don't find it in the Chrome Web Store. On the https://1password.com/downloads/windows/ page, I find a button to install 1password for Chrome, with a note below it stating "Looking for the classic extension?". This leads me to believe I should be installing the non-classic 1password X, but after it completes I find nothing in Chrome or the Extension itself that indicates it is 1password X. In the extensions' settings it says v2.2.1. Can someone please clarify?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.2.1
OS Version: Windows 10

Comments

• Hey @robert1p:

Great question! 1Password X was renamed a while back, and judging by the version number you've provided, you should be all set with our most up to date extension to use 1Password with. As long as you have this extension, you should be all set: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password-–-password-mana/aeblfdkhhhdcdjpifhhbdiojplfjncoa

Jack

• robert1p
    robert1p
    Community Member
    Options

So 1password and 1password X both existed before. And I presume you're saying 1password X has been renamed 1password. (Which I assume explains the reference to the "classic extension".) There's already enough confusion with the two versions. I'm surprised there's not a clearer description for folks to follow. It would help a lot if the https://1password.com/downloads/windows/ page had a footnote/link to explain it all. Same thing for the Chrome Web Store. I wonder how much time is wasted by new users like myself trying to google for a clear answer. I hate to see such issues detracting from what could be a more positive impression.

• robert1p
    robert1p
    Community Member
    Options

Hmm, the plot thickens. I just ran across the Setting for "Integrate with 1password app". Does turning this off mean it works more like 1password X and turning it on works more like the classic version? I was thinking I read somewhere that X was more secure; is that correct? i.e. should I be turning this setting off? (If so, why does it default to on?) Can someone point me to more documentation on this setting?

• Hey @robert1p:

You're exactly right. The regular 1Password extension I linked to was previously known as 1Password X.

When using "Integrate with 1Password app", 1Password in your browser will unlock and lock with the 1Password desktop app. This allows for 1Password in your browser to stay unlocked after quitting and relaunching Chrome, as well as allowing for Touch ID or Windows Hello unlock to be available (by way of using the 1Password desktop app to unlock). There's no change in security between leaving that setting off or on, it just allows for different use cases.

For example, since I'm the only person that uses my specific computers (my Windows devices and my macOS device), I have 1Password for Mac and 1Password for Windows installed and signed into my 1Password accounts. This allows me to unlock 1Password in the browser using either Touch ID, or Windows Hello. If however, say this was a shared computer account with a family, disabling "Integrate with 1Password app" would allow for easier use. As we generally recommend that each person using a device has their own computer account, 1Password will not allow multiple users from a single family account to sign into the same 1Passsword app. Using separate browser profiles, and disabling "Integrate with 1Password app" would allow each member of the family to use their own browser profile, and only see their 1Password information in their specific browser profile.

Let me know if that clears it up, or if you still have questions!

Jack

• robert1p
    robert1p
    Community Member
    Options

I believe the security concern was the connection to the app was an additional point of attack.

I was really hoping there was documentation conveying more details. With a document, I can read it thru and learn about all the products features. With a forum, I have to search and find applicable bits of information that still apply today. (There is a lot of old information from years ago that can be misleading.) An up to date document wouldn't seem to be that difficult of a task.

• PeterG_1P
    edited February 2022
    Options

Hi @robert1p, thanks for the suggestion. I'll pass this on to our Documentation team to see what we can do.

In the meantime, if you're curious to know more, I'd like to link you to our 1Password Security Model white paper, which covers many aspects of how 1Password works in detail (including in the browser), the kind of attacks we are and are not equipped to defend against, and hopefully some helpful insights into how your data is secured. 🙂

And if you'd like a more succinct overview of 1Password's security features, you can find that in our summary here.

I hope this provides a helpful way to put some key information in one place (rather than across the forums, as you mentioned). In any case, we're happy to answer questions and talk security, and hope this provides a good start!

• robert1p
    robert1p
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I read the White Paper before my purchase; it was good to see the thought put into the product. I await seeing the incomplete sections filled in. The second link fails; (the white paper link worked fine).

• Hey @robert1p:

It looks like that second link may not have gone through properly, please try this one: About the 1Password security model

Jack

This discussion has been closed.