classic exension lifespan?

Options
Zander_venn
Zander_venn
Community Member
edited January 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi

I find the classic browser extension better to use in almost every way - the user experience seems way less intrusive, user friendly and clearer to understand what is happening when… for me makes so much more sense in a lot of scenarios. for example

• finding passwords for sites that might have different urls for login
  • managing multiple logins for the same site
  • Saving passwords when you’re getting them wrong!
  • Not getting in front of the ui of the website itself if you don’t want to select something from one passwords suggestions - though I understand you can turn this off…
  • not autocompleting for you

My question is - is the intention to support the classic versions indefinitely?

Comments

• Hello @Zander_venn,

Thank you for your feedback. On my unbiased personal experience as a 1Password user, I find the new 1Password for your browser can do everything on your list better, faster, and less error-prone than the classic extension. With that said, since the new 1Password is a very different experience from the classic extension, it requires time to readjust, so please consider giving it some time, and I believe you will change your mind about the new 1Password.

You can use the classic extension indefinitely with the 1Password 7 desktop app to answer your question. However, we will no longer release new updates, and the upcoming 1Password 8 does not work with the classic extension.

• Zander_venn
    Zander_venn
    Community Member
    edited January 2022
    Options

I'm not really sure how your opinion can be unbiased as a team member - but there you go (I mean that with no hard feelings).

I am not without experience with the new extension. I am helping my partner migrate from a load of memorised passwords to 1pass. She was tearing her hair out, cursing. I went over to help her and found she was using the new extensions. She has a set of password rules that she's half memorised, but much of the time they take a few goes to get right.

She was trying to get them into 1pass - the browser extension kept asking her to add the password when she didn't know if she had the right one - she wanted to make sure it was correct first - but to do that in the new extension it meant dismissing loads of 1password nags until she had logged in successfully, then logging out again (because the new extension doesn't ask after a successful login) and then logging in again, saving while logging in.

That in itself is confusing because it asks you to save when you put in the email address, so she was putting that in, dismissing the nag, then putting in the password, then saving (because she thought the password needed to go in before clicking save. She was finding the whole thing intensely annoying. I switched her to the old extension - she's happy now.

I wondered if I was using it wrong, so I've been using the new extension over the weekend.

Here are the things I dislike about it:

• As someone who uses the standalone app a lot (as a developer I often need to access passwords outside of the browser) I hate that the old shortcut has changed, but I guess I can get used to that
    • I really dislike that the vaults dropdown had gone in the browser extension, occasionally i find it useful to see what is in a particular vault. Now the experience is fragmented (the desktop app is different from the browser extension) I can't just use them interchangeably.
    • similarly I dislike the space in the UI that is taken up with the 'favourites' dropdown. The 'type' dropdown it shows is of no use to me - would much rather see vaults here.
    • I detest the way the password field appears attached to the field in the browser. It blocks things in the UI and is intrusive. Especially the way I need to clear it when I know I want to use the password reset, because it's in the way of the button I want to press (eg wordpress login screen).
    • I dislike the way it asks me to save the password at the point of entering, before submitting, that doesn't make sense - as you don't know if the password your entering is correct at that point. The old journey of asking after clicking submit made much more sense. The new UX leads to much more clicking and frustration. This is really the biggest issue for me (and people I know - see story above!)
    • I dislike the way it nags me to use smart passwords all the time - often suggesting a garbled password when a memorable password (my preferred choice) would work fine. It doesn't remember my preference either, or give me the option to change the method in the auto suggestion box.

There are more niggles.

So please don't assume that my dislike for the new extension comes from some kind of ludditism or ineptitude of technology. I dislike the new user experience, and don't think I will - as you somewhat patronisingly put it - "get used to it"! I can use it, i just don't like it as much.

Don't get me wrong. I am pro improvement, I don't feel entitled to anything, and bear no-one any bad feeling - I just don't like the new extension. I hope 1password 8 doesn't move the whole ecosystem more in the direction of this extension

• Hey @Zander_venn:

Thanks for your detailed feedback.

As someone who uses the standalone app a lot (as a developer I often need to access passwords outside of the browser) I hate that the old shortcut has changed, but I guess I can get used to that

This is something I definitely understand. If 1Password in your browser has been integrated with the 1Password desktop app (so they share a lock state), the fill shortcut you have configured that works with the classic extension should be working with the newer extension. If this isn't the case, I or one of my colleagues would be happy to dig into it further with you.

I really dislike that the vaults dropdown had gone in the browser extension, occasionally i find it useful to see what is in a particular vault. Now the experience is fragmented (the desktop app is different from the browser extension) I can't just use them interchangeably.

similarly I dislike the space in the UI that is taken up with the 'favourites' dropdown. The 'type' dropdown it shows is of no use to me - would much rather see vaults here.

As we unify the behavior of 1Password across various platforms, we're thinking about ways we can improve this here. Nothing to share just yet, but stay tuned! :smile:

I detest the way the password field appears attached to the field in the browser. It blocks things in the UI and is intrusive. Especially the way I need to clear it when I know I want to use the password reset, because it's in the way of the button I want to press (eg wordpress login screen).

As you mentioned above, it is possible to turn off the autofill menu showing on field focus from settings (right click the 1Password icon in your browser, choose settings, disable the option "Show autofill menu on field focus").

I dislike the way it asks me to save the password at the point of entering, before submitting, that doesn't make sense - as you don't know if the password your entering is correct at that point. The old journey of asking after clicking submit made much more sense. The new UX leads to much more clicking and frustration. This is really the biggest issue for me (and people I know - see story above!)

This is something we're still exploring. I've added your feedback to our internal issue on this.

I dislike the way it nags me to use smart passwords all the time - often suggesting a garbled password when a memorable password (my preferred choice) would work fine. It doesn't remember my preference either, or give me the option to change the method in the auto suggestion box.

The default password can be set by opening the password generator:

After opening the password generator, choose the type of password you'd like as default, then enable "Use as default for suggestions":

We wouldn't be here without feedback from users like you, so I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to elaborate here.

Jack

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#272

This discussion has been closed.