Can't Unlock After Locked

PeteT
PeteT
Community Member

I'm using 1Password 7.9.2 on my 2019 MBP running macOS 12.1 Monterey. Over the past couple days since I last rebooted, I've been unable to unlock 1Password (the application and the helper) once the application has locked. All I see is the typical Lock Screen with "Scan Fingerprint" in the password field. Clicking on the padlock, the fingerprint button, or the text field on which "Scan Fingerprint" appears seems to do nothing except for change focus. No TouchID scan window pops up. There's no "Touch ID to Unlock -->" message to the left of the fingerprint scanner. Nothing. It's like the TouchID popup window is hidden somewhere and it doesn't timeout like it normally does and falls back to letting me type in the master password.

The only way I can work around it is to "Quit 1Password Completely" from the helper on the menubar, then restart 1Password. As soon as it starts up, I see the TouchID pop-up that gives me the chance to scan my fingerprint. (Once unlocked, it also prompts me to do my Duo check, but clicking "Continue" does nothing aside from close the popup.)

I have tried removing and reinstalling the application, but I didn't do a full removal of all the config files left (yet). I also haven't tried turning it off and on again as it takes a while to get things set up just right, but I'm close to trying that too.

Has anyone else seen this? Suggestions?

While this workaround isn't too onerous, it sure is annoying, especially as I'm usually trying to use 1Password to do something else, so this knocks me out of my intended workflow.

Thanks,
Pete

Comments

• PeteT
    PeteT
    Community Member
    edited January 2022

I found that if I disable TouchID, then lock the application, I do get the opportunity to type in my master password. The lock will open, but the screen won't otherwise change.

• Hello @PeteT,

It is strange, indeed. Before going further, please try these steps to see how it works.

Go to System preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items > Select 1Password > Select the minus icon at the bottom > Restart your computer > Click on 1Password in the Dock and let me know if you can scan your fingerprints to unlock 1Password?

• PeteT
    PeteT
    Community Member

Thank you, Nhat. I should have followed up here earlier. I rebooted my laptop before I saw your message, so I didn't try removing 1Password from the startup items. For what it's worth the vanilla reboot seems to have fixed this behavior. Everything is back to tip-top now.

• @PeteT

I'm happy to hear that a restart of your Mac resolved the issue. :)

This discussion has been closed.