Renaming Personal Vault

Options
DeanNash
DeanNash
Community Member

This has been a topic of discussion and much requested feature since 2016 from my scan of the support forums. Are there any plans to get this done or are we just not going to see that functionality ever added?

1Password Version: 7.9.2
Extension Version: 70902005
OS Version: MacOS 12.1

Comments

• DeanNash
    DeanNash
    Community Member
    edited January 2022
    Options

I

• Ben
    Options

Hi @DeanNash

As far as I'm aware this isn't something we're planning, but I'll be happy to add your voice to the requests for it. :+1: For you, what would be the thought behind renaming it?

Ben

• DeanNash
    DeanNash
    Community Member
    Options

Ben,

"Personal" simply does not accurately describe the vault in my use case.

For what it's worth, my family uses this as the default vault for all new logins. We then edit them to reflect a standard naming convention and move them to other categorized vaults or a Shared vault for logins and data applicable to the whole family. There are 19 item categories available in the application. We use 13 of them. With 1600+ entries across 4 people in several categories, if we don't logically organize the data, finding items becomes difficult and less than efficient..

Being a programmer myself, I'm not really sure I can see this as a heavy lift for a feature that has been requested repeatedly for over 5 years. If there a a quantifiable obstacle, that's fine. Someone tell the user base why it's not being added, not just that it's not being added. Just my 2 cents.....

All that being said, be it known that I love the application. There is nothing out there that I can find that compares to it. I'm just trying to help make it better.

• Ben
    Options

Being a programmer myself, I'm not really sure I can see this as a heavy lift for a feature that has been requested repeatedly for over 5 years. If there a a quantifiable obstacle, that's fine. Someone tell the user base why it's not being added, not just that it's not being added. Just my 2 cents.....

I can share my perspective on that. I'm not employed as an engineer, but I also don't think it is a heavy lift. In fact there was a bug a while back that allowed people to rename the Personal vault. In theory we'd just have to undo the bug fix. ;) The problem is more from a product/customer support/UX perspective. The Personal vault has special properties, which are only ever applied to it, cannot be unapplied from it, and cannot be applied to any other vault. Those properties are:

• Every family member has one
    • Other family members cannot even see it exists through any interface
    • It cannot be shared — the contents are always private(*)
    • Family organizers can give themselves access to any vaults within the family membership, except the Personal vaults of other individuals. The Personal vault provides a way for individuals to keep some items truly private, even from family organizers.

(*) Individual items can be shared using the Psst! feature, but the vault as a whole cannot. Even if you were to share each individual item using Psst! an important distinction would be that Psst! creates copies of the original items, it doesn't share the originals. So, if you change the secrets on the originals, those changes are not shared, unlike sharing the vault.

As such we feel it is important for this unique vault to be identifiable. The only identifier we have for vaults that is visible to the user is the vault's name. As such we do not allow this particular vault's name to be changed. Customer support needs to be able to make reference to this particular vault, and customers need to be able to understand and quickly identify that reference. As it stands if we talk about the "Personal" vault everyone can quickly see which vault that is. If it were to be renamed... we would lose that context. If we were to allow it to be renamed, I would argue strongly that we would need to add some other indicator that this is a unique and special vault.

I appreciate the additional context you shared, but I'm not sure I completely follow. Based on your description I'm wondering if there is some conflation between the purpose of vaults vs the purpose of categories? Categories are analogous to templates: they define the default set of fields that are on an item. Vaults are the container, and the level at which sharing is defined.

Ben

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

As a newbie, that you for the details of vaults vs categories, and especially about the Personal vault. :)

• Ben
    Options

You're welcome! :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.