sharing a vault with someone who already has 1password

Options
DXF1
DXF1
Community Member

Hi. I have a family account and my friend has his own family account. I'd like to share one of my vaults with him. When I send him an invite, he's asked for a user name and password. Should he use his already existing details or does he need to create a new account? If the former, will this screw up his already existing vaults?

Thanks for your help with this.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:share vault with person who already has 1password

Comments

• Hi @DXF1,

For some background, every 1Password account is its own isolated "silo" - so if your friend already has a 1Password account, he'll need to accept the invitation that you sent him. This will provide him with his own account under your 1Password Families membership and you'll be able to share a vault with him. He can sign up using the same account password he uses to access his existing account. Each account will still be protected by a unique Secret Key.

While these accounts will be different, your friend could add both accounts to the 1Password applications on his devices to view a combined set of vaults.

You can share this support article with him which covers how to maintain multiple accounts. Being a part of two accounts won't interfere with his existing setup.

This discussion has been closed.