!password Beta is saving not saving passwords in preferred vault

I have used 1Password for years with my Shared vault as the preferred place to save new passwords.

In the Beta, the app is now saving passwords in my Personal vault. I no longer can find the setting that version 7 had for setting default vault for saving. Seems like a major miss and comparable functionality. Please re-implement it so I don't have to figure out how to move items between vaults again.

1Password Version: 8.5.0103
Extension Version: 2.2.2
OS Version: 12.1

Comments

• PeterG_1P
    edited January 2022

Hi @JBorendame, thanks for raising this issue. I'll be happy to provide some suggestions so we can determine what's going on here.

In the Beta, the app is now saving passwords in my Personal vault. I no longer can find the setting that version 7 had for setting default vault for saving.

I'll go out on a limb: are you mostly saving passwords using 1Password in your browser? If so, you can find the "default vault to save items to" setting in this app. Here's how:

1. Open 1Password in your browser by clicking the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar
    2. In the top-right corner, select All Accounts > Settings.
    3. Scroll down to the General section. There should be a setting called Save New Items In.

Here, you can set which vault will be the default for when you save new items.

If you think there might be a bug with this functionality, it might be worth creating a test login item using this app, and then see where it saves to. If anything is working improperly, let me know and I'll be happy to report it on your behalf. I hope this provides a helpful start, in any case! 😀

• JBorendame
    JBorendame
    Community Member

I made the change you recommended. No idea why the previous setting on preferred vault was ignored. I am unable to find any preference setting in the Mac 8.5.0103 version at all. What's up with that? What vault would that default to?

• Hi @JBorendame:

How we handle choosing a default vault is something we're still discussing internally. With 1Password 7, your choice of visible vaults would either be a single vault, or All Vaults (potentially configured to exclude certain vaults). With 1Password 8 however, your choice of vault view could either be a single vault, All Vaults, or a collection containing any subset of vaults. With that, it's a little trickier to explicitly say "Every item saved will go to X vault". What happens if you're in a collection that doesn't include your default saving vault, and as such the item disappears after you've created it. Additionally, you can configure the vault the item is being saved to from the new item view, rather than being locked into whatever vault you were currently in:

Jack

• JBorendame
    JBorendame
    Community Member

I can appreciate that. Pls provide a way for customers to designate where a password or user is will be saved

• Thanks for following up @JBorendame, I've added your feedback to an internal issue we have on the subject. Thanks again!

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#9846

This discussion has been closed.