can’t verify the identity of your browser since latest few chrome beta releases

Options

IIRC, the beta version of google chrome recently changed the app name to "Google Chrome Beta.app", and its identifier has changed from "Identifier=com.google.Chrome" to "Identifier=com.google.Chrome.beta" according to codesign -dvvv; in addition, its data in folder has also changed from "~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome" to "~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome Beta". The latest beta version of 1 password (app & browser extension) now just reports "can’t verify the identity of your browser"

1Password Version: 7.9.3.BETA-1 (70903001)
Extension Version: 2.2.5
OS Version: macos 12.1 (21C52)

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey there @moiraine_sedai, sorry about the issue that you're seeing. I downloaded Chrome Beta to see if I could replicate the issue. However, things work fine with 1Password Beta in Chrome Beta on my end. Could you double check to see if your browser needs an update? Could you also try fully quitting both Chrome and 1Password, then relaunch both to see if that makes a difference?

We might need to get you to write in with a diagnostics report, but let's first see how things go with the above. Please let us know!

• moiraine_sedai
    moiraine_sedai
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Joy_1P I tried quitting/rebooting, still not working; since it's a new thing since the last chrome beta, just to make sure we are on the same version, my chrome version is:

Chrome is up to date
    Version 98.0.4758.66 (Official Build) beta (arm64)

and the output of codesign -dvvv /Applications/Google\ Chrome\ Beta.app

Executable=/Applications/Google Chrome Beta.app/Contents/MacOS/Google Chrome Beta
    Identifier=com.google.Chrome.beta
    Format=app bundle with Mach-O universal (x86_64 arm64)
    CodeDirectory v=20500 size=2466 flags=0x12a00(kill,restrict,library-validation,runtime) hashes=66+7 location=embedded
    Hash type=sha256 size=32
    CandidateCDHash sha1=613acf9c8f01ec4036cc436fb54771bb1b3c3f69
    CandidateCDHashFull sha1=613acf9c8f01ec4036cc436fb54771bb1b3c3f69
    CandidateCDHash sha256=28e794fd096bf3133c2688aa8d8e993b63cdcf39
    CandidateCDHashFull sha256=28e794fd096bf3133c2688aa8d8e993b63cdcf39569068162e157aa8e491fd56
    Hash choices=sha1,sha256
    CMSDigest=c0f704c4404706d4a339122400ffd8abc3f18c7c1a8ee73996489015e0092a40
    CMSDigestType=2
    CDHash=28e794fd096bf3133c2688aa8d8e993b63cdcf39
    Signature size=9043
    Authority=Developer ID Application: Google, Inc. (EQHXZ8M8AV)
    Authority=Developer ID Certification Authority
    Authority=Apple Root CA
    Timestamp=Jan 20, 2022 at 12:49:59 AM
    Info.plist entries=39
    TeamIdentifier=EQHXZ8M8AV
    Runtime Version=12.0.0
    Sealed Resources version=2 rules=13 files=60
    Internal requirements count=1 size=204

• moiraine_sedai
    moiraine_sedai
    Community Member
    Options

Also, by 1pw beta, did you mean the 1pw 8 beta or the 7.9.3.BETA-1 (70903001)? Thanks!

• moiraine_sedai
    moiraine_sedai
    Community Member
    edited January 2022
    Options

Possible relevant line in diagnostic:

Google Chrome
    Version: 98.0.4758.66

Code Signature:
    Chrome doesn't appear to be running or the DR couldn't find the proper PID for the process

while chrome is running: ps -e -o rss -o command | grep "Chrome"

shows

278560 /Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/MacOS/Google Chrome Beta

• Hey @moiraine_sedai:

Thanks for your additional information. It seems like somehow the Google Chrome beta executable has gotten into the Google Chrome.app package and is being launched from there, rather than Google Chrome Beta.app, and is likely the cause of the trouble you're seeing.

As a quick initial step to see if this is the case, can you reinstall both Google Chrome and Google Chrome beta? You don't need to delete your user data, but drag both stable and beta versions of Chrome from your Applications folder to the Trash, then redownload/reinstall both versions. This should sort everything out and have the stable executable in the stable package, and vice versa. Let me know how you get on with that!

Jack

• moiraine_sedai
    moiraine_sedai
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @jack.platten

Thanks for getting back; In my system I only have the beta of chrome; 1 password is

• not working when the beta app is named "Google Chrome Beta.app"
    • since the trouble shooting app is unable to find chrome when it's named "Google Chrome Beta.app", I also tried changing the beta app bundle to "Google Chrome.app" (hence the ps output above), then troubleshooting app finds the correct chrome version, but still report it's not running, and 1pw is still reporting unable to verify browser.

After some digging around, what worked is to make a folder in ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/NativeMessagingHosts and copying over the json file, like this. Looks like there's some changed since the last couple beta of chrome that causes this issue, possibly due to the data folder for chrome beta is moved from ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome to ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome Beta

In this case, 1pw to throw the "can’t verify the identity of your browser" message (instead of the could not connect for Canary version in the linked documentation)

• Hey @moiraine_sedai:

Thanks for following up. To figure out what could be going on here, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• moiraine_sedai
    moiraine_sedai
    Community Member
    Options

@jack.platten file, thanks!

For your reference, this is your support ID:

[#FQP-42973-466]

• Hey @moiraine_sedai:

Thanks for sending it in! We'll take a look and see what we can find and get back to you over email.

Jack

ref: FQP-42973-466

This discussion has been closed.