1Password Auto-Unlock on Windows-PCs with TPM

Options

In the fall, it was announced that later in 2021 1Password will be automatically unlocked on Windows computers with TPM chip. Now I can't find any more information about the feature - is there any news?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

It was mentioned in this forum that it might be possible to use the TPM if Microsoft starts providing a suitable API for it, but it was neither really "announced" nor acknowledged that plans to implement such functionality even exist.

I expect at least 2 years from now on, probably more, if at all.

Currently, not even a required Windows API for such functionality exists. It's as if you were try to use a graphics card without having a driver. Current TPM APIs only deal with various kind of keys, but not text storage as required for 1Password.

• sille
    sille
    Community Member
    Options

That's not true. This was announced in the blog post on Early Access by Dave on November 16th.

• Hi folks,

@sille is correct here; we did mention that we would be shipping enhanced Windows Hello support in a later version of 1Password 8 version by the end of the last year but we didn't make that schedule that we wanted due to various reasons.

However, we're still working on it as we speak and making steady progress. There were unexpected side effects found as we expanded testing with more systems and found restrictions with certain TPM chipsets where it will not work, so that's why it is taking longer.

We will release more details soon. I'll follow up here as well when we do.

This discussion has been closed.