Windows Hello Unlock sometimes fails

I lock my work computer when I go away for a while and unlock Windows 11 with Windows Hello. Most of the time 1Password 8.5 unlocks ok with Windows Hello. Sometimes though it gets stuck in a Windows Hello unlock loop with an error about it not working.

I have to cancel the Windows Hello prompt and in 1Password I either click the Windows Hello icon again or enter my master password. Is this a known issue? If not, are there any logs that I could collect for you? Thank you.

P.S. Looking forward to when 1Password can use the TPM chip to always allow Windows Hello to unlock 1Password 8. :)

1Password Version: 8.5.0-83
Extension Version: 2.2.2
OS Version: Windows 11 build 22000.438

Comments

• Hey @geekbytrade:

I'm sorry to hear you're having some trouble with Windows Hello. The next time you run into the issue you mentioned, can you create a diagnostics report from your Windows PC:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

P.S: I'm just as excited for the TPM support you're talking about as you are! 😁

• geekbytrade
    geekbytrade
    Community Member

Will do. Thank you @jack.platten

• Thanks @geekbytrade. We're always happy to follow up and make sure things are working properly!

(and if not, we want to know why πŸ‘)

• geekbytrade
    geekbytrade
    Community Member

Hi @Jack.P_1P and @PeterG_1P - Windows Hello unlock failed on 8.6 and I sent in a diagnostic. Support ID [#CIA-38838-681]. Thank you.

• Hi @geekbytrade! Thanks so much for your reply. The team will be in touch with an update.

ref: CIA-38838-681

• martinsteel
    martinsteel
    Community Member

I was having similar problems to @geekbytrade

• Lots of "Something went wrong" errors
    • Duplicate Hello prompts when logging in with two accounts
    • When it did work sometimes only one of the two accounts was unlocked

But with 1password beta 8.8.0 Windows Hello seems to be working so much better - I haven't had a single failed Hello dialog in the last few days 😊

Great work by 1password dev team πŸŽ‰ (I didn't see any mention of Hello in the release notes so thought I'd let you know)

• mseul
    mseul
    Community Member

I am still encountering the above mentioned issues.

Setup:

1. I'm on 1PW Beta 8.8.0 with a corporate and family account managed through the same app.
    2. I have two cameras, one built-in and an external Logitech Brio, both Windows Hello certified.
    3. I use the Brio for authenticating via Windows Hello.
    4. I have a TPM 2.0 chip active and enabled and use Windows Hello and the TPM chip via 1PW.

Issues encountered:

1. Windows Hello does not persist on reboots, requiring me to enter the master passwords, claiming that this was necessary "after Windows Hello was reset" (I did not reset or change anything)
    2. Unlocking occasionally requires me to provide my master password (no specific reason given) then prompts me for Windows Hello AFTER the password-based login already succeeded
    3. Only one account is unlocked after a reboot, even if Windows Hello works, requiring me to manually open 1PW and unlock the other with a password, showing the Windows Hello prompt AFTER the unlock succeeded
    4. The same behavior (as described in 3) also applies to unlocking 1PW after it was locked in the same session (lock upon screensaver) or after resuming from standby

Overall, the Windows Hello performance is very spotty and unreliable - especially after a reboot.
    The duplicate logins and need to unlock the second account manually has made my "start of the day" routine much more tedious as I need to babysit 1PW. :(

• martinsteel
    martinsteel
    Community Member

Looks like I spoke to soon, the update to build 80800094 has brought back both the "Something went wrong, try again" errors during Hello authentication and "Windows Hello was reset" after a restart 😞

• martinsteel
    martinsteel
    Community Member

@Jack.P_1P it's now been 10 months, any update on this being fixed?

It's getting really annoying having to answer between 1 and 10 Windows Hello prompts every time I want to unlock 1Password. It's affecting our other 1Password Business users too.

• ag_mike_d
    edited October 2022

Hello @martinsteel,

Thanks for getting back us.

I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Windows PC so we can investigate further:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• martinsteel
    martinsteel
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

Hiya @ag_mike_d

Diagnostic sent in, I might be completely missing something, but I can't see a support ID in the autoreply I got back (came from businesssupport@1password.com).

FYI, the fix mentioned in the 8.9.7-31 release notes didn't fix it, I was prompted lots of times this morning.

• Hi @martinsteel - thanks for letting us know you've sent the details along via email. We'll take a look and get back to you as soon as possible.

ref: TFB-97435-551

This discussion has been closed.