Manually unlocking each account now required in 1Password 8 Beta?

I'm noticing that when I launch 1Password 8 Beta, it's requiring me to unlock each account I have—a work and a personal—with each account's master password This seems different than 1Password 7 where it seemed like I could provide the code for any account and it would effectively unlock all on launch.

Curious if this is by design and if there is any way to quickly unlock multiple accounts in the new version.

Note, I'm not using touch id currently since I tend to operate my laptop in clamshell mode but if that is an option I may explore that.

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.5.0 80500103
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.1

Comments

• Hi @bradical:

Great question! In short, yes, this is intentional. Generally speaking, our official recommendation is to use the same 1Password account password for all accounts you use: How to use multiple accounts

Why the change?

For a bit of backstory, we used a relatively "hacky" workaround in older versions of 1Password to allow you to use the account password for the first account added to the app. While this was definitely a handy tool to have, it came with some serious drawbacks. This tended to cause many issues where the password could be different depending on device (based on what accounts were added and what order they were added in), on top of the fact that the account password would change suddenly when that first account was removed. You can still unlock all of your accounts simultaneously using a password in 1Password 8 by using the same account password for all of them. As the passwords themselves are never transmitted over the internet in any form whatsoever, as well as each account having their own unique Secret Key, there is not a worry about password reuse.

If you'd rather stick with using two separate account passwords for each of your 1Password accounts, after each has been unlocked with their own account password, Touch ID will be able to unlock both of them.

Jack

• bradical
    bradical
    Community Member

Thanks for the prompt and thorough response. That explanation makes perfect sense and I too thought it was a bit odd that it unlocked both using a single password before despite its convenience.

So bottom line is that if I want to be able to unlock at once I need to either: a) unify master passwords for all accounts or b) unlock once and use Touch ID to unlock them.

Thanks!

• Hey @bradical:

That's exactly right! You're very welcome! Be sure to get in touch if you need anything in the future. :smile:

Jack

This discussion has been closed.