Collapsible sidebar experiments

Having the ability to collapse the sidebar is a request we've heard from many of you, especially when not using tags and/or having a small number of vaults. It's also super helpful when zooming in with larger text sizes.

@ag_Gabriele and the design team have been doing some experiments on how it could look and feel in 1Password 8. Gabriele just tweeted a video of his latest explorations and I thought I'd share it here for a deeper discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVeRuxt8D8I

There's still a lot of work to do to get this from experimental to being in a beta, and we need to make sure our design is resilient to edge cases so folks can't get lost or don't realize why their sidebar has disappeared.

We'd love to hear your thoughts on this and if it'll meet your needs.

++dave;
1Password Founder

Comments

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member
    edited January 2022

That seems like a pretty standard implementation for showing/hiding the sidebar. I like it. It doesn't seem confusing to me at all. But I'm a tech savvy user. I can see how the hover action to show/hide the sidebar could be jarring and confusing to less tech savvy users though. Perhaps you should just rely on the toolbar button and and option keyboard shortcut for that instead? Also, it seems to only make the side bar collapsible and not customizable like the video is titled?

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

Seeing the title I had hoped that we were finally be able to bring back categories to the sidebar. It's indeed misleading... although looking really good.

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member

As the 13th Doctor stated when she first walked into her redecorated Tardis: "I really like it!"

• andmade
    andmade
    Community Member

No, that’s not what people asked for. That’s what your team member wanted when we asked for categories back in the sidebar! This is disappointing and feels like further tapping out on and ignoring an actual frequent request, then spinning it as if people asked for something different.

• Thanks everybody! 🤗

@OAW: You got good eyes! 🙂 I wish I could blame auto-correct on that one but collapsible is too far from customizable for that to be plausible. I think what got me was I had both words in my head and at some point I started questioning the spelling so I went to Google to verify. Somewhere along the way to getting back to the title field my mind started thinking about the other and my fingers didn't catch the mistake. I've edited the video title accordingly.

Regarding categories in the sidebar, I saved that sneak peek for today. 😘 Give me a bit and I'll add a link here once its up.

++dave;
    1Password Founder

• andmade
    andmade
    Community Member

Woah, categories may really find their way back? 🤯🤯🤯

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member

I don't need a collapsible sidebar, since I heavily rely on tags for organization. I don't have a large pile of items, I organized them.

However, I see a use case on screen space restricted systems. If you intend to also migrate the v8 client to mobile. Look at the category bars in Microsoft's OneNote App (the app, not the desktop version). If the app runs on a mobile device, the sidebar(s) are dynamically scrolled to the left out of screen if you navigate to the right to view your documents. And if you move back to the left, your contents is dynamically scrolled to the right out of the screen to make space for the category bars.
    This way the information you currently work on gets enough space to work comfortably.

If the app is run on a desktop system, either all sidebars are always visible, since there is enough screen space, or you collapse them manually, which leaves a tiny sidebar with a button to expand the sidebar again, a search button, and a history button - the standard mobile view.

• Thanks for these thoughtful contributions, @Tertius3. We appreciate the input! 🙏

• Regarding categories, please be sure to check out the Exploring sidebar categories thread. 🤗

++dave;
    1Password Founder

• Just want to update folks here that the latest Beta now contains a newly-collapsible sidebar (yay!) as well as the ability to place Categories in the sidebar if you prefer this layout. We're looking forward to your feedback!

https://1password.community/discussion/127435/beta-6-of-the-year-is-now-available#latest

This discussion has been closed.