How can I select more than one password at a time to move, delete, or tag?

naalipalo
naalipalo
Community Member

I didn't realize that Windows doesn't have the remove duplicate passwords like a Mac does, even though this has been talked about for at least 5 years now (saw posts from 2018). So, my next thought was to then be able to highlight and select more than one password at a time and delete it. Or I could "tag" them or put them into separate vaults or something for later deletion. Please correct me if I am wrong, but it just seems very odd that I can organize bookmarks easier in a browser than I can organize anything in 1Password. 1Password seems like it would be more sophisticated and therefore have basic features like finding duplicates automatically, not importing duplicates automaticially, identifying duplicate websites but not duplicate passwords, these types of features to avoid repetition. Additionally, seems like with all the "organizing" they advertise as what you can do with this program, selecting more than one item at a time would be a basic feature. I have to be missing something yes?

1Password Version: 1183
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Enterprise
Referrer: forum-search:How to select more than one at a time?

Comments

• Hi @naalipalo, thanks for taking the time to raise these issues for us.

To start, here's some quick tips on selecting items in 1Password. There are a couple ways you can do this:

• You can select more than one item in 1Password by using ctrl + click. This can be useful if you want to pick out a subset of items from a list, but not, say, every single item in a vault.
    • If you want to select all items in a given vault, you can click on any item in a vault, then do ctrl + a. This selects everything.

I hope this provides a helpful start. 👍

However, your critiques here are well-taken. The discrepancy between what's possible for a person to do in 1Password for Mac vs. 1Password for Windows is something we've been working towards fixing in the newest generation of 1Password apps, and a "duplicate detective" feature (as I've come to think of it) would be a welcome addition across the board. We do have an existing feature request for this, and I have added your comments here to our discussion of that request, so that our developers can get a feel for customer demand and why specifically this matters to you. And I appreciate you highlighting it!

We know that we have work to do on some of these features, and we're doing our best to build out an app without peer. Feedback like yours is part of how we get there. I hope you'll find it keeps getting better all the time!

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests/-#1041
    ref: customer-feature-requests/#696
    ref: customer-feature-requests/#422

• naalipalo
    naalipalo
    Community Member
    edited March 2022

@PeterG_1P Thank you for your speedy reply. I however didn't get back to this until now. While in my vault, logged in on a laptop using windows 10 and chrome, I have tried to select more than one password within my vault. It does not let me select more than one. It just "moves" or highlights the next item rather than keeping the previous one selected.

I have tried ctrl+ click or ctrl+shift+click or shift+click and I get nothing. I can't select any subset or anything. I can't even drag and drop if thats a feature somehow....which it doesn't seem to be.

When I hit ctrl+a, this only highlights all the words on the page...doesn't select anything in the list of passwords. Just the words that show up in the menu column and the "page" showing the individual data associated with the one selected password. This doesn't make sense. Nothing you suggested is working :(

If that feature does eventually work, then what? how do I delete more than one at a time considering the only way I see deleting things is to hit the edit button and that only shows up when you've got the 1 item selected.

I hope I am just missing something simple here.

• Hey @naalipalo:

To confirm, are you trying to select multiple items on 1Password.com, or 1Password for Windows? The tips Peter provided earlier are for in 1Password for Windows.

After downloading and installing the 1Password app, add your 1Password account. Let me know how you get on with the tips Peter gave after adding your account to the 1Password app!

Jack

• naalipalo
    naalipalo
    Community Member

@Jack.P_1P
    I have an Android phone and I thought I read I couldn't do anything in an Android setting and if I wanted to do anything I'd have to do it on the computer. So in Windows 10, I have tried everything that has been suggested above. I had the app on my phone well before I logged in on a computer. I don't know how the app on the phone is going to give me any different results. But I would appreciate some sort of suggestion to get either platform working. Unless you are talking about an app on a computer. And then I be confused.

• naalipalo
    naalipalo
    Community Member
    edited April 2022

@Jack.P_1P
    I have an Android phone and I thought I read I couldn't do anything in an Android setting and if I wanted to do anything I'd have to do it on the computer. So in Windows 10, from a .com address I have tried everything that has been suggested above. Sooo, looks like I need to put some software on the computer? I will download the program and try.

• Hey @naalipalo:

That's absolutely correct. Download and install 1Password for Windows, add your account to the app, then you can follow the steps Peter provided above. Let me know if you run into any trouble along the way!

Jack

This discussion has been closed.