I am unable to install Firefox 1Password add-on on my iPad.

Options
rgjonesjr
rgjonesjr
Community Member

I cannot install the Firefox extension on my iPad. It did install properly on my iPhone. Both are running the same versions of IOS, see version below, and Firefox Daylight 96.0 (7403).

The link in 1Password sends me to Mozilla’s Firefox Add-on page for 1Password. That page tells me I need to install Firefox. (It is already installed and up to date. Clicking on the button does not install a different version of Firefox)

Under the “download Firefox” button there is a link that says “Download file”. If I click on the link to download the add-on it downloads but does not install.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

1Password Version: 7.9.3
Extension Version: 2.2.2
OS Version: 15.2.1
Referrer: forum-search:iOS Firefox add-on

Comments

• Hey @rgjonesjr:

At this time we don't support extensions on iOS or iPadOS, other than 1Password for Safari. We're always exploring additional options though, so who knows what the future brings. :smile:

AutoFill on your iPhone or iPad would be best served by enabling 1Password for Safari when using Safari, or for other browsers and apps, ensuring that AutoFill is enabled: Use 1Password to fill and save in apps on your iPhone and iPad

Jack

• rgjonesjr
    rgjonesjr
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your reply.

This is really sad. :'(

I have good technical reasons for not using safari. In addition I wasted a considerable amount of time trying to figure out why I couldn’t get the link supplied by 1Password to work with FireFox on IOS. It would be a service to your customers if there was an obvious warning about IOS and Firefox.

I am curious about your second paragraph. You state that “AutoFill … would be best served”. I don’t understand what the point you were trying to make here. My question was about FireFox not AutoFill nor Safari so I am wondering why I want AutoFill to be best served. (It might just be that I am new to 1Password and this forum so I am missing some common bit of knowledge that would help me understand.)

Fortunately I am still in my evaluation period. Since I use FireFox on my iPad 90% of the time and 1Password doesn’t have support for it nor some of my other commonly used apps on my iPad I guess I will have to look elsewhere for a solution.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

• Hey @rgjonesjr:

We're always exploring making 1Password the best it can be, and if the ability for extensions to be used in Firefox on iOS/iPadOS is added, we'll definitely revisit 1Password in Firefox on iOS.

I am curious about your second paragraph. You state that “AutoFill … would be best served”. I don’t understand what the point you were trying to make here. My question was about FireFox not AutoFill nor Safari so I am wondering why I want AutoFill to be best served. (It might just be that I am new to 1Password and this forum so I am missing some common bit of knowledge that would help me understand.)

My apologies if that section wasn't 100% clear. When using 1Password on your iPad, there's two methods of filling that are available:

• Password AutoFill, which is available in every app (including Firefox), allowing you to fill usernames and passwords from your Login items.
    • 1Password for Safari offers the exact same 1Password experience available with 1Password in the browser for desktop browsers.

Let me know if that cleared it up for you.

Jack

• rgjonesjr
    rgjonesjr
    Community Member
    Options

So the “Password AutoFill” leverages the IOS native password fill feature and the “1Password for Safari” leverages Safari’s internal password fill feature?

• @rgjonesjr

Password AutoFill is an Apple technology that 1Password (and other password managers) use in order to fill in Safari and other apps on the iPhone and iPad. When you use Password AutoFill 1Password only provides the data for the experience and the detection and filling of fields is handled entirely by iOS/iPadOS.

1Password for Safari is our new web extension where 1Password itself handles all of the filling. This allows us to fill more types of items that are not supported by Password AutoFill such as Credit Card items and Identity items because the filling is done by 1Password itself.

Let me know if you have any questions. :)

• rgjonesjr
    rgjonesjr
    Community Member
    Options

Very clear, especially for someone new to the password manger world.

Thanks

• @rgjonesjr

I'm happy to hear that Jack and I were able to help answer your questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.