Doesn't autofill defeat security? (newbie..I have only setup one pw on Mac and trying Android)

Des
Des
Community Member

(Disclaimer: there are serious big gaps in my knowledge about 1P. I have only set up one account)

I set up one password for Macy's (department store) on my Mac. Wanted to log onto Macys using the Macy app on my Android. I logged onto 1P on my Android and expected to see the Macys icon but did not see it. Read some light articles on setting up 1P on Android which suggested allowing autofill and accessibility but I feel like using autofill to logon to Android apps defeats the purpose of having to enter passwords to use the apps. (Now, here is where I think I'm missing something important). Please clear it up for me.

My concern is if I left my phone unattended and not locked (okay, I know you should never do this) but if feels to me like someone could just go to the Macys app and start purchasing items without logging on with a password.

Does 1P work the same on the MAC and Android?

TIA

1Password Version: 7.9.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 10
Referrer: forum-search:android apps

Comments

• Des
    Des
    Community Member

It works on my Android as expected. I guess it took time for the Macys logon info to get updated on the 1P app on my Android

• Hey, @Des. Thanks for contacting us about your autofill and accessibility issue. It sounds like your issue might be resolved. If not, let us know!

• FrankBreech
    FrankBreech
    Community Member
    edited February 2022

Hello @Des, your issue is not unique to 1PW. If anybody leaves their phone sitting there unlocked, then anything can happen, and 1PW can't help that. For instance, many people choose to store their passwords in keychains or in browsers like Firefox, etc, and they would be just as vulnerable as in the situation you describe above.

I think 1PW gets a pass here.

• Thanks for your comments FrankBreech. A malicious actor with full access to a device could circumvent almost any precautions with enough time and effort.

There are other situations where your device might be freely available but you still want to limit access to your accounts. For instance you may not want a young child to make purchases on your tablet! Turning Lock on exit or Automatically lock on from Settings > Security will help ensure your account password or biometrics are required before filling.

I also wanted to add our guide on what to do if your device is lost and it has your 1Password data on it:

This discussion has been closed.