Where is th password generator?

I can no longer find the password generator in the app or on the desktop. How do I access it?

1Password Version: 8.5.0
Extension Version: 7.9.3
OS Version: 12.1

Comments

• Hello and good morning, 👋

You have a few options available to you.

First, you can generate a new password in the desktop app while creating or editing an item by focusing the password field and selecting Create a New Password:

Since most passwords are associated with a site or service, the easier way is to use 1Password in your browser. While on the site you need a new password for you can focus the password field and use the suggested password from the inline menu, or you can access the full password generator from the 1Password toolbar popup.

I hope that helps. Please let me know. 🤗

Take care,

++dave;
    1Password Founder

• DoggieMan
    DoggieMan
    Community Member

That toolbar 'key' password generator option doesn't show in my 1P8 Beta toolbar, just a feedback button.

In any case, would like to have something that evaluates the strength of a password which I make up myself.

• Thanks for getting back to me.

I think I know what's happening. Have you installed 1Password for Safari from the Mac App Store? That's needed for the 1Password 8 beta for Mac. I suspect you have the 1Password 7 extension in Safari still.

Regarding evaluating the strength of a password that you type yourself, this is actually a lot more difficult than what it sounds like at first glance. It's easy to make up a strength but it's impossible for us to actually know the strength with any real accuracy. Please see this password strength indicator feature request where @Lars gives a detailed answer on why this is the case.

Please let me know if that helps,

++dave;

• DoggieMan
    DoggieMan
    Community Member

TNX. Got the Safari extension installed, so the password generator now shows.

Will study up on the password strength article you linked.

For a few sites where I sometimes have to re-enter passwords, I prefer memorable, easy-to-type, passwords. I've experimented by entering a prospective memorable (words-only, but nonsensical) password as a new item in the Mac's Keychain Access. Keychain Access purports to gauge their strength with the addition of each character. Trustworthy?

• Great to hear you got things set up. 🙌

I wasn't sure if you you found our Memorable password recipe yet so I thought I'd include a screenshot just in case:

As for the trustworthyness of a password strength indicator, I don't think it's a matter of trust as we all do our best but the fact is there's no way for anyone to know the true level of entropy (and therefore strength) in a password unless they know how it was created.

++dave;

• DoggieMan
    DoggieMan
    Community Member

Got it.

Many thanks.

• Cool. Enjoy!

++dave;

• redtara
    redtara
    Community Member

I do not have the password key generator in my 1password app. 1Password for Mac 8.5.0 and Safari 2.2.3

• Hi @redtara

Do you have the 1Password for Safari app from the Mac App Store installed and enabled within Safari? If not, you can find it here:
    https://apps.apple.com/app/1password-for-safari/id1569813296

Once you have it enabled, I've recorded a brief video demonstrating how to access the password generator:
    https://bucket.agilebits.com/ben/SafariPWGen.mov

I hope that helps!

Ben

• redtara
    redtara
    Community Member

I do and I just get this window when I click on it, and it is selected in preferences. If I click on the in the finder toolbar it opens 1P

• @redtara

Everything looks okay / as expected in that screenshot. Were you able to follow the steps in the video I posted? If not, at what point do you get hung up?

Ben

• redtara
    redtara
    Community Member

I reinstalled it ad it is working now. Thank you.

• Gotcha. Thanks for the update, @redtara. Glad to hear reinstalling resolved the difficulty you were having. If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• redtara
    redtara
    Community Member

Much appreciated. I knew how it was supposed to work after I saw your video.

• :+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.