MacOS: Secure Input Bug/Issue

Using the beta on MacOS, when 1Password locks itself, even when the app is in the background or I haven't used it in a while, it "locks" the Secure Input feature such that other apps can't receive keystrokes when they're running in the background. This was discovered - and is an annoyance/problem - because both Synergy and ShareMouse, programs used to "magically" share/move one mouse and keyboard combination from one computer (host - my Mac, in this case) to another networked computer seamlessly, were rendered unable to get keystrokes when I'd move the mouse to another screen (different computer) and start typing keys. At first I thought this was some weird issue with MacOS itself, but after some debugging and research I figured out that it's actually 1P causing this behavior.

I understand the necessity of the feature and am not at all asking you to turn that off; instead, please have the app NOT lock down secure input mode UNLESS/UNTIL I actually click to open up the app into the foreground and display it on my screen. If then it's minimized or loses focus again, release secure input mode so other programs can take in keystrokes.

In other words, don't do secure input unless 1Password is focused and in the foreground. Otherwise it can prevent other apps from running correctly.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 80500103, on BETA channel
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 12.2

Comments

• Hi @jahio:

Thanks for reporting this. This is an area we're working to improve the state of play in, so stay tuned for updates, and we should hopefully have this smoothed out.

Jack

• kekoav
    kekoav
    Community Member

Any improvements here?

I'm also having this issue but for Logitech+. I also found that there are times when SecureInput is locking input but the process has disappeared. Opening 1Password and exiting clears the SecureInput "lock" or whatever it is, and my mouse will function normally. So when I have 1Password active, or sometimes when the process that once held the lock is gone, mouse functions like even scrolling or other input become impossible, even when there is no sensitive information being entered.

I have to open and then exit 1Password completely, which really messes with my flow and ability to use 1Password and my basic mouse functions. It doesn't happen all the time, it's a bug that happens frequently enough multiple times a day that I'm writing this.

https://support.logi.com/hc/en-gb/articles/4411277511063

• volts
    volts
    Community Member

1Password 8 enables Secure Input in all text entry fields in the app, including things like the Search field.

I've requested a setting, to optionally enable Secure Input for only Password-type fields. Perhaps you would advocate for the same thing. :-)

• kekoav
    kekoav
    Community Member

I've requested a setting, to optionally enable Secure Input for only Password-type fields. Perhaps you would advocate for the same thing. :-)

I think I might like that, but it took me a while to even figure out what the heck was going on, because I had no interaction with 1Password when I experience this bug, so I think it's not just a matter of Secure Input on the wrong fields, but that Secure Input is looking for a process that no longer exists.

My logitech software attempts to look up the PID of the process using Secure Input, and if I do the debug steps, which include:

I find a kCGSSessionSecureInputPID that doesn't exist anymore, so I think it's more a bug than a feature request.

• ntents
    ntents
    Community Member

This has been a major issue since last week's update. I have to quit and restart 1Password all the time because Keyboard Maestro quits working due to this secure input bug.

• Hello @ntents, we don't have anything to share on this at the moment, my apologies. However, we will make sure to let folks know here in the forums about any subsequent changes to Secure Input. Thanks for letting us know this is something that has come up for you recently.

ref: dev/core/core#13958

• ugafta
    ugafta
    Community Member
    edited May 2022

I saw Signal Messenger had the same issue, and they changed some code from v5.2.0 to v5.2.1. Maybe this will help the DevOps team @PeterG_1P to find a solution, I discovered the same with Logiteh Options+.

Source

macOS: Signal Desktop enables Secure Input (conflict with Logitech)

• Thank you @ugafta, this is considerate of you! I have virtually stapled this issue to our own now, so we can retain it for reference.

This is something we're working on right now, so I'll hope to have more for you when that's reached release status. Thanks for sharing what you've found on this!

• tmorrison
    tmorrison
    Community Member

I don't have any additional information to contribute at this time, but I just wanted to throw my hat in the ring as someone eagerly awaiting a fix for this. I cannot emphasize enough how disruptive this is to my day-to-day use of my Macbook. I'm a developer, and I have several extensions/drivers that rely on the ability to monitor keyboard and mouse input events, including Logitech Options+, Fig, and Espanso. None of these can work when Secure Keyboard Input is enabled, so when 1Password spuriously enables Secure Keyboard Input or fails to release it after legitimately enabling it during a password entry, it breaks all of these key elements of my machine's setup. It is a huge bummer.

I really love 1Password. Truly, I rave to everyone I know about how great it is. This bug is the first and only negative experience I've had with it so far, so I'm really looking forward to seeing this fixed!!

This discussion has been closed.