Is there a way to permanently set the autolock time setting (Windows 7 PC/Firefox)?

Options
heylmg
heylmg
Community Member

It seems that when I set an autolock, it holds for as long the computer is on but reverts to default 10 minutes when I shut down/restart.

1Password Version: 8.4.0
Extension Version: 2.2.3
OS Version: Windows 7
Referrer: forum-search:autolock setting not saved

Comments

• Howdy @heylmg 🤠

Can you try updating to the latest version of 1Password 8 for Windows (8.5.0) and let me know if you're still seeing this behavior?

https://releases.1password.com/windows/8.5/

• heylmg
    heylmg
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Blake - On install, I get a message it is not compatible with my OS (Win 7 32-bit)

• Hi @heylmg, thank you for letting us know. That is true - 1Password 8 does require a 64-bit version of Windows 10 or newer (and I should note that there are quite a few additional security benefits that come with the OS upgrade as well).

In any case, 1Password 7 should still work for you - and feel free to contact us at support+windows@1Password.com if you would like any assistance with the transition. We're here to help! 👍

• heylmg
    heylmg
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks PeterG.
    Should I also interpret your response to mean that with 1Password 7 there is no way to permanently set the autolock time but with an OS upgrade and 1Password 8 I could? Thanks again

• PeterG_1P
    edited February 2022
    Options

Hi @heylmg! These settings should be persistent for you across reboots with 1Password 7.

It looks like this 👀

If it wasn't working for you with 1Password 8, this might be either a bug we haven't encountered before, or a side effect of 1Password 8 interacting problematically with Windows 7. I would bet on the latter, but whatever the case, we do typically expect that auto-lock settings will stay the way you put them.

As always, we're here if you'd like any assistance with switching versions, or any other aspect of 1Password. Thanks again for the question!

• heylmg
    heylmg
    Community Member
    Options

PeterG - Thanks for quick response, but I'm feeling a bit incompetent right now. How did you get to the screen in your reply? The only thing I see when I sign into my account is the "Welcome to 1Password" and a set of steps to get started. The Url says I am at my.1Password.com/home but the only drop down is under my name (top right), and under Profile I see options for Travel and browser Auto-Lock. This is where I have change from the default 10 minutes each time I reboot the computer.

Where else should I be looking ?

• PeterG_1P
    edited February 2022
    Options

Hi @heylmg , no problem - I'm happy to help with this.

The screenshot you've shared here is from 1Password.com (which is to say, the 1Password website). You can make some changes to your account here, but not auto-lock settings.

However, you can find those settings in the 1Password desktop app, which should be located under All Programs in your Windows Start menu.

Once 1Password 7 appears on your screen:

1. Enter your password to unlock the app as usual
    2. Select 1Password > Settings > Security

Here you should find settings that allow you to adjust how long it takes before 1Password locks, and under what conditions.

Let me know if this works for you - we want to make sure you can make the changes you need! 👍

• heylmg
    heylmg
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. That worked

• @heylmg excellent!

As always, we're here if there's anything more we can do. Thanks again for the question and the chance to make sure things are working optimally. 👍

This discussion has been closed.