Migrating authenticator records into 1Password

Options
mitchellzone
mitchellzone
Community Member

Hi all,

I've over the years used a bunch of authenticator apps, and for a variety of reasons still do--I have Google, Microsoft and Duo authenticator apps all on my phone and use all 3 regularly. Problem is, I never remember which account is in which authenticator and I'm sick of that.

So, I'd like to move all of this stuff into 1Password, since I already use it for the password portion of authentication, and just have one throat to choke.

Any tips on doing this migration? Is there a specific class of stuff that won't work? How about the process of actually doing a reset of the 2FA process in various systems? Seems like redoing my various O365 logins with a new 2FA system is daunting--I don't even know how to start. Setting up 2FA for the first time seems relatively straightforward in most systems--starting over seems harder.

Appreciate any thoughts people have about starting down this road. Thanks!

/mike

1Password Version: newest
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Apple ecosystem

Comments

• Hey @mitchellzone:

Glad to hear you're thinking of getting your one-time passwords into 1Password! 😃

As 1Password only supports standard TOTP one-time passwords (what you'd use in Google Authenticator), not every service can be used in 1Password. For example, if your Microsoft account protected by Microsoft Authenticator is using push notifications, rather than a six digit code, you would have to continue using Microsoft Authenticator. The same is true of services protected by Duo.

Any site that recommends Google Authenticator, or Authy, or other standard TOTP apps can have its one-time passwords stored in 1Password. When I migrated my accounts, I just went down my list of services in each app (assuming they were standard one-time passwords), and one by one navigate to the service, disable two-step authentication, and re-enable it and scan the new QR code in 1Password. After I had migrated all my services, I'd do one last double confirmation that I had saved the new recovery codes, and verified that all of the one-time passwords stored in 1Password work as expected, then delete the services from the outgoing app.

Let me know how you get on with that, or if you run into any trouble along the way!

Jack

• mitchellzone
    mitchellzone
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks--especially for the advice about the push notifications, as I do have a couple of those and was wondering how they would work. Is there any best practice about storing the recovery codes? I've never needed to actually use one before, but I've just been keeping them in the notes field of the related password.

/mike

• @mitchellzone

Thanks for the reply. I personally store the recovery codes in the notes field of a login item as well. Not only is 1Password the most secure location that I have for these codes (keeping them encrypted and backed up to my 1Password account) but it also ensures that the recovery codes are available on all of my devices in case I run into an issue.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. 😊

This discussion has been closed.