How do I transfer my license (from App Store purchase) to new Mac?

Options
joelcarke
joelcarke
Community Member

I had bought 1Password 7 via the App Store. On my old laptop under the 1Password7 menu I see a License... menu option. This says I'm licensed and can use 1Password on as many Macs as needed.

I transferred my settings and data (not apps) to a new Mac. I reinstalled 1Password7 from the App Store. But the license didn't come over. Now, when I launch 1Password, I can read all my Vault data, but I can't make any changes, and I'm always prompted for an account.

How can I transfer my purchased 1Password7 license to this new Mac?

Thanks.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.9.2 (70902004) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.2

Comments

• @joelcarke

The version from the Mac App Store only supports our membership options. Please use this set of instructions to switch to the website version. How to install the 1Password app from 1Password.com after installing it from the Mac App Store Please make sure to apply your license to the new installation.

• joelcarke
    joelcarke
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not sure what you mean by it only supports the membership options since I clearly have a Mac App Store version that's licensed (and I don't have a 1Password account). What I did do -- and this worked -- was to mount my old Mac in disk target mode and copy the 1Password app from the old Mac to the new one. Now when I launch it on the new Mac I see the "License" menu option and all read/write activities work. So it would see that the license lives in the executable .app directory and not as a data preference of the user.

• Ben
    Options

@joelcarke

I'm not sure how that is possible without a membership. As Tommy said, the Mac App Store version of 1Password 7 is membership-only. But, if it is working for you, perhaps it is best to leave it at that. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.