New beta update is now available

Options

Happy Valentines week everyone! 💕💖💘💝💕

I hope y’all managed to find something thoughtful for those dear in your life. I know we did! 😘 Today’s beta has some great improvements to show our love and appreciation to all of you for being part of our beta family. 🤗

This week also marked a big milestone for us: we just hit 10,000 merge requests in our GitLab repository. 🙌 Pretty amazing as the team created, tested, and merged each one in less than 3 years.

Those 10,000 merges are what powered the ~1,365 public-facing changes and improvements in our client apps, along with the 19 in today’s update.

Highlights of this release include some huge performance boosts in the UI. Images displayed throughout the app now load much faster, making the item list faster than ever. It’s buttery smooth and even better on high refresh displays, as seen by @Mitch scrolling through 3500 items at a native 120 Hz.

We also improved full screen support on macOS and fixed several issues where the main window would appear or steal focus when it shouldn’t.

Finally, we added a filter feature to allow you to narrow the current list of items. Use ⌘⌥F on Mac and Ctrl-F on Windows&Linux to activate the filter.

You can find a full set of changes in our release notes for macOS , Windows , and Linux. Or, select the What’s New item from the feedback menu within the app.

As always, thank you so much for participating in the early access release and helping us to improve 1Password. We couldn't have gotten this far without you and the releases are so much better as a direct result of you. Thank you! 🙏🏻🤗

++dave;
1Password Founder

Comments

• James.Dressel_1P
    edited February 2022
    Options

We are troubleshooting an issue with our 1password-beta AUR package. I'll update here once it's out. The other platforms are all live.

Edit: We've resolved the issue, and https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/1password-beta is now up-to-date.

James Dressel,
    Senior Build Engineer

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    edited February 2022
    Options

Hi @dteare and @Mitch

Many thanks for the app opening ontop of other full-screen apps issue being fixed.

There are two full-screen issues I still get with todays beta:

1. 1Password does not reopen in full-screen mode if it has been closed in full-screen mode. Compare 1Password to Mail.app. This reopens in full-screen mode if it was closed in full-screen mode. What 1Password does (when closed in full-screen mode), is to open as a window but the window stretched to be as big as it can be without officially being in full-screen mode. If it's opening as big as possible then why not just the extra step to go back to how the user closed it. If this is not possible, then making the window open at a much smaller size maybe more useful than stretching to fill the space in an odd way. Test out the experiences between todays beta and Mail.app to see the different experiences. EDIT: Looking around the web just now results in everyone saying that an app will reopen in full-screen mode if it was closed in full-screen mode. Being consistent with other apps on this would be fantastic!

2. I must be getting old, I have completely forgotten what it was! As soon as I remember, i'll either update or post a reply!

Thanks Neil

BTW: What's that "Linked apps" thing in @Mitch screenshot?

BTW 2: When will the SSH key integration appear?

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

Mitch‘s video is a pretty good example why an item count has to be placed outside of the list and not inside. Scrolling through 3500 items just to get the item count is a usability nightmare.

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for outside list item count!

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

The new filter function finally finds items based on substrings that the ordinary search is still not able to find. Thank you... I've almost given up on this one ;-)
    The only problem I see is that there are no visual hints/cues about the filtering option. It's completely invisible unless you use the shortcut. Most users might never know this function even exists.
    I would really like to see this integrated into the search field or even better replace the current search with the one from 1PW7 which in my opion is still better by far.

• dteare
    edited February 2022
    Options

I thought someone might notice that, @viswiz! 😂 Yes, indeed, scrolling to the bottom of the list to see the total in this case did take a while. 🙂 We haven't implemented it yet but @danvpeterson has a second location for the counts to appear and it will help in situations like this.

It's great to see that you're enjoying the item filter. We added it for you and several others like yourself who preferred the 1Password 7 approach. I hear you on making the filter more visible and indeed for a few internal builds we did exactly that. For advanced users like us I liked having the extra button (we placed it beside the sort icon) and the dual search+filter ability, but it added more weight to the UI and cognitive load than we wanted. We decided to remove the icon and rely on the menu item and keyboard shortcut for now and see how it goes.

So happy to hear full screen support has improved for you, @rctneil! 🙌 I was a bit worried about that one as I wasn't able to personally recreate it, so I'm relieved the fix works well for you. It's awesome @Mitch was able to squeeze this into his weekend.

Regarding the restoration of full screen when exiting and restarting 1Password, I was able to recreate this. It was nice to finally be able to recreate one of your full screen issues. 🙂 I see what you mean about this being nicer to restore full screen entirely. In my testing of 1Password 7 I see we also didn't restore to full screen there but instead elected to make the window smaller like you said. I opened an issue to track this (#12889 for any fellow bits reading this).

Cheers!

++dave;

ref: dev/core/core#12889

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    edited February 2022
    Options

@dteare the filter is really what I have been waiting for. It just finds/filters what I'm looking for... magic😊. Although I would like to get a kind of button to activate it I have to admit that I couldn't find a place where it would fit too. So at least for me the shortcut and menu item are a perfectly fine solution.

I found just three small issues:
    1. The naming. The menu uses "Find" whereas you call it "Filter". In my opinion your term fits better. Within the menu we now have "Search" and directly below "Find". It's very hard the differentiate those two functionality wise. "Filter" would make that easier.
    2. The first time I use filter via shortcut or menu the input field is revealed and gets the focus. But as soon as I click on any other item without closing the filter first, the only way to get the focus back to filter is to click into its text field. Neither shortcut nor menu activate it.
    3. The new shortcut is missing in the shortcut list available within 1PW's help menu.

• Emanon
    Emanon
    Community Member
    Options

Moin, ich nutze seit 7 Tagen jetzt die Vers.Mac 8.6.0 - 80600026, im Kanal „BETA“, nach dem ich mich jetzt an das neue Erscheinungsbild gegenüber Vers. 7 gewöhnt habe, finde ich es sogar in der Zwischenzeit richtig schick und gut in der Handhabung. Es ist übersichtlich und Fehler sind mir bisher noch nicht bekannt. Sicherlich sind noch die Übersetzungen nicht so wie sie sein sollten, allerdings ist das Meiste aus der alten Version bekannt und bedeutet daher keine Probleme, bei dem Rest muß man manchmal eben etwas ausprobieren. Also durchaus gelungen!
    Translator: Hello, I've been using Vers.Mac 8.6.0 - 80600026 for 7 days now, in the "BETA" channel, now that I've gotten used to the new look compared to Vers. 7, I even think it's correct in the meantime chic and easy to handle. It is clear and I have not yet encountered any errors. Certainly the translations are not as they should be, but most of them are known from the old version and therefore don't cause any problems, with the rest you sometimes have to try something. So quite successful!

• Thank you so much for the kind words, @Emanon! 🤗 I'm so happy to hear you are enjoying 1Password 8. 😍

@viswiz: Good points. Thanks for raising them.

++dave;

This discussion has been closed.