Keyboard shortcuts conflict with other apps

Options

I've been testing the macOS beta app for a few months now and I'm loving it. Recently I've found an issue that is related to the desktop app although I can not exactly pinpoint what is causing the issue. I'll explain myself:

For a few months now, a couple of times a week, some of the keyboard shortcuts on my Mac suddenly stop working. Not all shortcuts stop working, only some of them, for example:

• Rocket: a small utility to insert emojis quicky via keyboard shortcut evrytime you type ":"
  • Alfred snippets: to quickly expand keywords to text snippets
  • MonitorControl: a Mac utility to control the display brightness on 3rd party displays.

Those are just some examples of apps whose shortcuts or keyword detection stop working. It happens "randomly", I mean, I can not reproduce it when I want, although it seems to happen more often after the computer wake from sleep. Up until a few week ago what I did when it happens was to reboot the computer and everything started worked again. After looking into it I found that every time it happens the 1Password desktop Mac app was open and, when I quit it all shortcuts start working again. It's like something in the app is in conflict with those other apps, but not every time, and it's very annoying.

I've search the forums but couldn't find any similar issues reported. Any ideas on what could be causing the issue?? If you need any more info I'll be happy to help

1Password Version: 8.6.0-26
Extension Version: 2.2.3
OS Version: macOS 12.2

Comments

• Hey @squaredpx:

To protect your information when editing items in 1Password, we set a flag called Secure Input when you're editing an item. This prevents other applications from snooping in what you're typing. Generally speaking the 1Password app should release Secure Input when you're no longer editing an item, but we've noticed some areas where we can improve, so I've added you to the issue we have tracking this.

Because both Rocket and Alfred snippets rely on reading specifically what you're typing, that would explain why you run into trouble sometimes with those two. I don't have firsthand experience with MonitorControl, but just from a quick look at it, because it uses Accessibility to listen to the brightness and media keys, it may be affected in the same way.

This is an area we're actively working to improve on, so stay tuned and keep an eye out for updates!

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#12760

• squaredpx
    squaredpx
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your answer, yes, that could explain it. I'll keep an eye.

Regards

• Thank you @squaredpx - and we do appreciate you reporting this! It's critically important for us to understand if / how often issues are happening, so we can prioritize making the positive changes needed. Thanks for the info, it's much appreciated.

This discussion has been closed.