How can I change the settings of the Chrome extension in the local files?

Options

Heya,

For the company I am working for, we are using 1Password for saving and sharing credentials. For this, we are using the Windows desktop application as well as the Chrome extension. For our current onboarding process, we want users to have some predefined settings so all users are working with those same settings. Now we want to automate the whole onboarding process, so we would like to have a possibility to change the extension settings without having to log in on the device and manually change the settings.

I found out that changing settings for the desktop app could be done with the settings.json file. After some research for the desktop app, it turned out that there is no such thing for the browser extension.

I looked into some of Chrome's levelDB (/Extensions, /Local Extension Settings, /Local Storage, /Storage) files from the 1Password extension, but those gave me no solution yet.

My question is, is there some way to change the settings of the 1Password Chrome extension so we can automate our onboarding process. If there could some clarity about the usage of the storage of the Chrome extension and the possibilities of the automation for changing the settings, that be be very much appreciated.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.2.3
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @TimBatist, I definitely understand why you'd want to have specific settings for the extension in order to automate the onboarding process for your company. I can check into this further, but could you give me some examples of what kind of settings you had in mind? Also, what specific questions did you have about the storage of the Chrome extension? Were you concerned about the extension not working with a certain amount of logins or account data?

• TimBatist
    TimBatist
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Joy_1P, Thank you for your response. We would like to change some of the extension settings due to company policy. Because of the wish to automate the process, we were looking into the local files where these setting could be saved, so we can modify those files to set up the settings we would like to have. Like I said, for the 1Password desktop application, there is a settings.json we can modify to set the settings in the application. We were searching the extension files, hoping to find a file like this settings.json.

I have also asked this question in a mail, and the answer was that there currently is no policies template. That's why we asked if somebody knows where the settings are saved locally, so we can modify those files.

I hope this clarified the question a bit more.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @TimBatist, I checked with our developers and I'm afraid there's not a way that to do this. I'm sorry that I don't have better news.

• tblnd
    tblnd
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @TimBatist, I am currently facing the same situation and as far as I was able to confirm, it is currently not possible to set up 1Password X (browser extension) with specific settings.

macOS: /Users/$USERNAME/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Profile/Extensions/aeblfdkhhhdcdjpifhhbdiojplfjncoa/2.3.0_0{app,background}

Windows: C:\Users[login_name]\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\aeblfdkhhhdcdjpifhhbdiojplfjncoa/2.3.0_0{app,background}

Above, you will find the location of the files related to 1Password X on macOS and Windows 10/11. The Chrome extension settings are set by app.js and background.js.

As we speak, those are minified JS files so there is not much configuration available for automation in those files.

@Joy_1P, it would be great if the 1Password X devs could put the available settings in, e.g., a JSON file that would then be parsed by the JS files. It would definitely help automating onboarding process/deploying 1Password.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tblnd I will pass along the feedback to our devs! Thanks for reaching out about this.

• TimBatist
    TimBatist
    Community Member
    Options

@Joy_1P @tblnd ,

I finally found a solution for this problem. I am using browser automation now to find the page and click on the buttons to enable the settings.

Although this works (and I am very happy about that), I feel like 1Password should find a way for it's user to automate settings within an organization. I think it is good the devs will think about this and I will patiently wait for an update that fixes this.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @TimBatist, that's good news. I'm curious, are you using a specific program or extension to do browser automation?

• TimBatist
    TimBatist
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @Joy_1P , I'm using Playwright now. It's a Microsoft branch from Puppeteer. I can tell it to go to the extension page and to flip some switches on that page.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@TimBatist Thanks for letting me know!

This discussion has been closed.