Vault for Saving does not save new passwords to correct vault

Options
AMCarter3
AMCarter3
Community Member

I have two vaults - Personal and Shared. The "Shared" vault is in the "Vault for Saving" preference setting. However, new passwords or changed passwords are not saved the designated vault.... they always go to the Personal vault. I end up wasting a lot of time wondering where my new or changed password went. Please help.

1Password Version: 7.9.2
Extension Version: 2.2.3
OS Version: 12.2.1
Referrer: forum-search:vault for saving

Comments

• Hi @AMCarter3:

Thanks for reaching out! Just to confirm, when using the newer 1Password for the browser extension, it has its own separate setting for which vault new items will be saved in. If you've changed the setting in 1Password for Mac, but haven't changed the setting in 1Password in the browser just yet, this might be where you're running into trouble.

You can verify that you've changed the setting in 1Password for the browser as well: right click the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar, choose Settings, then check "Save new items in:" and ensure it's your Shared vault. Let me know how you get on with that!

Jack

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member
    Options

Jack,

That was the solution. I have to say that I did not know about the browser extension settings. There were several settings that needed to be configured. I've been a 1P user and fan for many years. I feel caught off guard by the mere existance of these extention settings and do not understand why they automatically don't automatically match the app settings. That would seem to me to be a smarter way to go.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback @AMCarter3. The extension has its own settings because it can operate without the app, which is how some customers prefer to use 1Password (extension only, no app).

Ben

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member
    Options

Well, I see no good reason to design the extension based on the preferences of "customers" who prefer to not use the app. This customer would prefer to have the default extension settings match the app settings. Then, IF a customer prefers to not use the app (which makes no sense to me), they can re-configure the browser extension settings.

• Ben
    Options

Not everyone has the same use case or requirements. For example, in a number of business environments it is possible for end users to install browser extensions but not apps. In any event, I understand the desire to have all settings sync between the app and the extension, and will share that with our Browser Experience team. 🙂

Ben

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Ben. From my perspective, I don't see this as a zero sum game. It seems to me that having the settings in the extension auto sync with the app, IF there was an app in use, would not cause any issues for those who do not have the app and would only benefit those who DO have and use the app. Frankly, having used the 1P app for many years, I can't imagine how NOT having the app works. There are just too many situations and ideosycnancies encountered when changing a password, updating a username, etc. that cannot be easily handled using just the extension.

• Ben
    Options

Frankly, having used the 1P app for many years, I can't imagine how NOT having the app works. There are just too many situations and ideosycnancies encountered when changing a password, updating a username, etc. that cannot be easily handled using just the extension.

I think a lot has improved in recent history, in that regard. You might be surprised. :)

From my perspective, I don't see this as a zero sum game. It seems to me that having the settings in the extension auto sync with the app, IF there was an app in use, would not cause any issues for those who do not have the app and would only benefit those who DO have and use the app.

I agree. Was just explaining why the current state is what it is. The browser extension most people are currently using was initially designed for the use case of not having the app. Only later did we add integration with the app.

Ben

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member
    edited February 2022
    Options

Ben, I know there was a long development period for this extension. And I know it works quite well and that it has some level of integration with the 1P app. What I don't know are the specifics. Has some kind of a description of the extension ever been made available to the app users? I was an early adopter of the extension. When it was finally fully released, I still had little understanding about how it worked with the app nor did I know that it had settings. I feel like I'm bumping aorund in a dark room trying to find the door. Did I miss some kind of communication about it?

• Ben
    Options

@AMCarter3

Gotcha. Yeah, for sure. I guess I would say start with our documentation available here, and then let us know if there is anything outstanding:

https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/

Ben

This discussion has been closed.