Password not working - iOS app

Options
CanUK
CanUK
Community Member

I have an iOS app on my iPhone that has the following sign-in credentials:
1. my email address
2. password (generated by 1Password)

I can log into the app's website on my computer using the login information in my 1Password vault.

However, signing into the ios app on my iPhone is a problem.
I go through the following steps on my iPhone:

1. I log into the app - the following fields appear:
  • email address; and
  • password
  1. I clicked on the field and the password option comes up on my iPhone ( I turned off iCloud Keychain and only 1Password is selected in Autofill Password)

2. I access my 1Password vault on my iPhone and type the name of the app in the search bar of 1Password.

3. From the result of the search, I click on that specific app I'm looking for and the email and password are populated in the ios app.
  4. On the log in screen of the ios app - the email and password are populated and I click sign in.
  5. The ios app notifies me that a password is required - but that field is populated with the same password that was used to log into the app's website.

I then deleted the app and reinstalled the app.
I then went through the above steps.
It worked BUT when I logged out and logged back in - it did not work.

So I deleted the app and reinstalled the app again.
I then went through the above steps again - but this time it did not work at all.

So I then went to my 1Password app to find the ios app information (in particular, its password).
I copied the password.
I then returned to the ios app and pasted the copied password into the password field - IT WORKED.
Therefore, it is not that I inadvertently changed the password in between log ins.

ISSUE:
1. I should not have to go to my 1Password vault to copy and paste the password to the app's password field.
2. Is it possible when I have to log in to an ios app that when I click on Password option, it knows to populate automatically the required information from that app. In this case, when I select Password, I have to sign in to 1Password vault and search for the specific app and then click it on to have its required login information transferred to the sign in on the app (which didn't work in this case - see steps 5 and 6 above)

1Password Version: 7.9.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 15.3.1

Comments

• Hi @CanUK:

Thanks for asking!

We rely on native iOS functionality to do the heavy lifting when filling into apps, so if a app isn't behaving as expected, we're relatively limited in ways we can work around it.

In short, we provide iOS with a username, a password, and a URL, and iOS checks to see if a app matches the list of credentials we've provided. As a test, after filling in your username and password, enter an additional character in either the username or password field, and then remove that character using delete. For example, if my username was jack and my password was ZMieCDA, after using 1Password to AutoFill the credentials, I'd select the password box, type an a, resulting in this: ZMieCDAa, then delete the a, resulting in this: ZMieCDA. Let me know if that improves your state of play!

Additionally, we rely on a iOS feature called Associated Domains for when a Login item is suggested in AutoFill. You can verify if the app you're running into trouble with configures an Associated Domain by checking for a URL when searching for the item after tapping Passwords when filling:

In this case, the eBay app is using an Associated Domain of ebay.com. If the app does show a URL in the highlighted area, adding that URL to the Login item in 1Password should improve your situation when filling into that app in the future.

Jack

• CanUK
    CanUK
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your response.

For your first suggestion, I had to select the desired login from my vault and it populated the app's username and password fields. I then typed "a" to extend my password and subsequently deleted the "a" and it worked. Thank you.

However, while this works I would prefer to avoid doing this - as I may not remember to do so as a workaround and trying to explain that to my other family members they may find it confusing.

Therefore, I believe your Associated Domain may be the solution. Unfortunately, I'm not following what to do?

• Hey @CanUK:

To clarify, the Associated Domain functionality is what resolves your second point above:

1. Is it possible when I have to log in to an ios app that when I click on Password option, it knows to populate automatically the required information from that app. In this case, when I select Password, I have to sign in to 1Password vault and search for the specific app and then click it on to have its required login information transferred to the sign in on the app (which didn't work in this case - see steps 5 and 6 above)

If the app is not providing iOS with an Associated Domain, you will have to manually search for the item when you need to AutoFill into that app as you're currently doing. It sounds like this specific app isn't providing iOS with an Associated Domain, and if that's the case, that would be something for the developers of the app to investigate and work on resolving on their end.

However, while this works I would prefer to avoid doing this - as I may not remember to do so as a workaround and trying to explain that to my other family members they may find it confusing.

Because the process of filling into an app is handled by iOS, if an app misbehaves like it does in this case, adding and removing a character is your best bet. Let me know how you get on with that!

Jack

This discussion has been closed.