"1Password Quit Unexpectedly" message every time my Mac wakes up

Options
DavidNY
DavidNY
Community Member

Bug report: Every time I wake up my Mac, I get the message "1Password Quite Unexpectedly" with the option to relaunch. It doesn't seem to quit while I'm actively using it, though. Just when it's asleep (or maybe when it's woken up).

[Edit: I see there's a separate thread for the betas. I'll repost this there. Not clear to me how I can delete this here though]

1Password Version: 8.6.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.15.7

Comments

• DavidNY
    DavidNY
    Community Member
    Options

Bug report: Every time I wake up my Mac, I get the message "1Password Quit Unexpectedly" with the option to relaunch. It doesn't seem to quit while I'm actively using it, though. Just when it's asleep (or maybe when it's woken up).

1Password Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member
    Options

Does it also quit unexpectedly when attempting to update the app via About 1Password > About > Check for Updates ?

Does it download the update, and then crash instead of installing the update? The main 1PW app stays running, but another 1Password process crashes in the background.

If so, this is a known issue in macOS 10.15.7 which the developers are currently working on to fix. It only affects 10.15.7

• Ben
    Options

Hey @DavidNY

As @snozdop alluded, I suspect this is a 10.15.7-specific issue. If you have opportunity to upgrade macOS, I would encourage you to do so. If that isn't feasible, for whatever reason, as snozdop mentioned we are investigating the issue with that version.

Ben

• DavidNY
    DavidNY
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, it did crash on "Check for Updates" exactly as you described -- Downloaded the update and then crashed. The main app stayed running and another process crashed in the background. (Does this mean there's a newer version I should manually download?)

It's unfortunately not possible for me to upgrade macOS. I've reached the limit of OS upgrades for this particular computer (Late 2013 iMac). I still have a pending security update I need to do, but I don't think it increases the version number.

• aal
    aal
    Community Member
    Options

I have this same scenario on a Mac running 10.15.7, except that 1Password (8.6.0-26 BETA) crashes frequently even while the Mac is being used, not just when waking from sleep.

• Thank you for this info, @aal, sorry to learn you've encountered this. Are you able to upgrade past version 10.15.7, by any chance?

• aal
    aal
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately, that particular Mac is stuck on macOS 10.15.x due to its age. 1Password 8 seemed to work well initially, but probably started crashing when the 10.15.7 update was installed.

I just wanted to let you guys know that I've seen the crashes even when not waking from sleep. If at some point, you conclude that 1Password 8 BETA isn't going to work on 10.15.7+, please just let us know so that those Macs can be rolled back to 1P 7. Thanks.

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2022
    Options

@aal

The fix for this issue should be in the current 1Password 8 nightly. Are you using the nightly or the beta? The beta will not include the fix until next week. To get the fix at present you'll need to grab the nightly. You can optionally use the nightly and immediately set it back to beta channel if you wish. I've had several reports of success this morning!

Here is the link to the nightly, https://downloads.1password.com/mac/1Password Nightly.zip

Let us know if you have any questions.

Edit: Everyone will need to manually update once to get the fix. The update will not happen without the manual update. Once updated you should be good to go moving forward.

ref: dev/core/core#12770

[Moderator's Edit: Updated with the latest link]

• aal
    aal
    Community Member
    Options

I just installed the nightly and it seems to be working. Thanks!

• 👍

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

I am also experiencing 1P quilting unexpectedly, I am also running 10.15.7 with no option to upgrade until I've saved up ;-)

It does seem more prevalent when my iMac wakes up but I do see it at other times, for example it seems to crash every time I 'Check for Updates'.

About 1Password reports I am using 1Password for Mac 8.6.0 80600026, on BETA channel, the crash report says 8.6.0-26.BETA (8.6.0-26.BETA.99918), is this the latest?

Interestingly the main app is not actually quitting.

I appreciate your efforts geting this resolved please let me know if there is any additional information I can provide to help.

Regards

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member
    Options

@iwaddo Just manually download the latest nightly release from the link posted by Tommy above a few days ago. This includes the fix.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited May 2022
    Options

Thanks for the assist, @snozdop. Indeed you can grab the latest nightly build, which would include the fix for this, here: https://downloads.1password.com/mac/1Password Nightly.zip

Ben

[Moderator's Edit: Updated with the latest link]

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben @snozdop Thank you both, I've installed the nightly build and so far so good :-)

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update @iwaddo 🎉

Ben

This discussion has been closed.