Add option to stop prompting to save passwords?

Options

I recently upgraded to 1Password 8. It takes a little getting used (I still like the old one better), but the big drawback is that it forced me to use the new Chrome plugin. I can't believe you guys (known for awesome software, whom I trust with all of my personal information) could have produced such a mess. Please fix it.

In addition to all of the UI disasters in the new browser plugin, there seems to be NO WAY to turn off the constant prompting to save logins when I login to ANYTHING in my browser. I DO NOT WANT THAT. If I want to save a login, I will do so. I never wanted the browser to try to think for me, and I don't want 1password to do so. Chrome won't let me disable it because 1password manages the setting.

I get that you want it as a feature. I get (sort of) that you want it as a default. I do not get that you make it impossible to opt out of without disabling the 1Password browser plugin. Seriously? You can't empower your users?

Please tell me that this will be fixed soon. I really don't want to go through the hassle of abandoning an otherwise great product because of such a stupid user-hostile feature.

PS - I also can't get it to stop trying to autofill credit cards. I guess I will just have to delete any credit cards from 1password. Grrrrrr

1Password Version: 8.5.0
Extension Version: 2.2.3
OS Version: Windows 11
Referrer: forum-search:disable prompt to save passwords

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @dpadwa thanks for reaching out. It sounds like you may have used the classic extension in the past, and now you've set up our new extension, which has an inline menu to help with saving and filling. You shouldn't be prompted to save your login on a site if that specific login already exists. If that's happening, please let us know what site it is and we can take a closer look.

That being said, if you do have an existing login for a site, the inline menu from the extension would suggest that login for filling. If you'd like to dismiss that suggestion, you can:

• Press ESC on your keyboard.
    • Click on a blank area in the page to remove focus from the field.
    • Click the little 1Password icon on the right side of the field to toggle it off.

If you'd like to take things a step further and disable the inline menu from automatically appearing on all of your sites, this can be done by going into the extension's settings page. Here are the steps for that:

1. Right-click the extension's icon on the top right corner of the browser and select Settings.
    2. Go to Autofill and turn off the "Show autofill menu on field focus" option there.

I hope that helps! If you have any other questions, please let us know.

• dpadwa
    dpadwa
    Community Member
    Options

Super - thank you!

• On behalf of Joy, you're very welcome @dpadwa! Please get in touch if you need anything in the future. 😀

Jack

• Grimmi
    Grimmi
    Community Member
    Options

they mentioned user hostile and i guess they were correct. They were hostile. Don't think you guys deserve that aggression. Kudos for dealing with it professionally

This discussion has been closed.