What happens if 1Password the company shuts down operations?

Options
JasonDunnCA
JasonDunnCA
Community Member

I'm using 1Password now with my family and a good question came up: what happens to the data if 1Password as a company ceases to exist? i.e.: your servers go offline and never come back. The data is stored in the application, but what kind of client-side process occurs when I put in my password? Will the desktop app continue to function without periodic calls to the 1Password servers?

The "Export" button is greyed out on the desktop app, but it exists, so under what circumstances can I export data from the 1Password client?

I did a quick search and couldn't find a blog post or whatnot on this, but I'm sure it comes up now and then.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• MerryBit
    MerryBit
    Community Member
    Options

I think the best way to convince yourself of the consequences of 1password servers going away is to disconnect the devices from the Internet and see what happens. Use airplane mode on your smartphone, for example.

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

While I have every confidence this isn't something we'll be up against anytime in the foreseeable future, not all events are foreseeable and so I understand and respect where the question comes from. 🙂 If such a thing were to happen, @MerryBit hit the nail on the head. Disconnect from the internet, or block 1Password in your firewall, and you can see for yourself how it operates without a connection to us. That said, it would be inadvisable to continue to use the software indefinitely if we were gone. Obviously updates would stop, and as such there would eventually be some new OS or architecture that would prevent things from working further. Long before that point you'd want to have exported your data and moved to another solution.

To your question on exporting: with 1Password 7 you can only export one vault at a time. If you're in the All Vaults view, that would be why export is greyed out. Switching to a single vault should enable it.

I hope that helps, @JasonDunnCA?

Ben

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben Did you mean to say 1Password 7? I'm using 1Password for Windows v7.9.828, there's no export button and I can export all items from the All Vaults view. Right-click on an item in the centre pane, click Select All -> Right click on the block in the centre pane, click Export

• Ben
    Options

@rootzero The limitation may be specific to 1Password 7 for Mac.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.