Importing 1pif file option no longer available ?

cyberguard
cyberguard
Community Member
edited February 2022 in Windows

Hi all,

I used the mrc converter to convert my keepass to a 1pif (with attachment), however I can not find the import option on the window app.

I only see import on the web, and when selecting 1password as the source it simply tell me to log into my account.

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/ do make reference to a popup about moving data the first time you open 1password but I already have been using the app for a little while.

Thanks

1Password Version: 8.5.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Window

Comments

• Hey @cyberguard:

Great question! As it currently stands, 1Password 8 doesn't support importing .1pif files. To import your newly converted information, follow these steps:

1. Verify all of your items currently in 1Password 8 are available on my.1Password.com.
    2. Uninstall 1Password 8.
    3. Download and install 1Password 7, available from the bottom of the page here: https://1password.com/downloads/windows/
    4. Import your created .1pif file (1Password menu > Import, select your .1pif file).
    5. After importing your .1pif file, verify that all new items are available on my.1Password.com.
    6. Once all items are available in your 1Password account, uninstall 1Password 7, and reinstall 1Password 8.

Let me know how you get on with that!

Jack

• cyberguard
    cyberguard
    Community Member

Hi @Jack.P_1P thanks for the answer.

You got me curious and I ended up checking the Mac app since I also have a mac that I use sometime. I found the option on the mac side of thing which imported the data from the 1pif.

However, I misunderstood that by using MRC to convert my keepass data to 1pif file instead of simply csv, it would also import the attached file as part of the import. Unfortunately after re-reading the documentation it is pointed out that this not the case :(

So I have to re-import all of my file manually. At least MRC exported all my file to separate dir with the name equal to the key so it's much less painful, just time consuming :)

As a final question (I have other keepass db to import), does importing from 1pif instead of csv provide advantage in term of data attribute (i.e. entry type, tag, etc.). Would there be field that are supported in 1pif but not in csv, or vice-versa ?

thanks again

• Hi @cyberguard, thanks for letting us know how this went, and I'm sorry for the time-consuming aspects of this. We'll keep this in mind as we look at the state of import going forward. Now to your questions!

does importing from 1pif instead of csv provide advantage in term of data attribute (i.e. entry type, tag, etc.)

Assuming that the source you're using has fields we can work with, the 1pif format will be closer to lossless than a .CSV. 👍

Would there be field that are supported in 1pif but not in csv?

In short, yes.

I hope this is helpful - let us know how the import goes, or if you can use a hand with anything!

This discussion has been closed.