macOS Biometric Fallback

alexclst
alexclst
Community Member
edited May 2022 in SSH

I use an M1 Mac mini, but do not (yet) have a Touch ID keyboard. I use my Apple Watch to unlock my Mac and 1Password regularly. Every now and then the Apple Watch unlocking completely fails and I have to uncheck and recheck it in System Preferences. Today I noticed this failure because the 1Password SSH Agent was briefly showing the biometric authentication dialog, but then it disappeared and my Terminal showed that the agent refused authentication. I can use the 1Password SSH Agent on a Mac where 1Password does not support the Apple Watch unlock, and there it just puts up a dialog (if 1Password has already been unlocked) to "Allow" use of my SSH key.

My question is if there'd be some way for the 1Password SSH Agent to notice this failure state of Apple Watch biometrics and fall back to the method of auth that does not use Apple biometrics when it is detected? Or at any rate, this is an FYI that this can happen every now and then, the total failure of Apple Watch unlock breaking 1Password SSH Agent authentication.

1Password Version: 8.6.0-43.BETA
Extension Version: 2.2.3
OS Version: macOS 12.2.1

This discussion has been closed.