Exact match and close match... is it gone from 1Password 8?

Options
me_and_myself
me_and_myself
Community Member

Hello everyone!

I've been playing around with 1Password 8 and one thing I discovered and was rather annoyed with was that the browser plugin would not show me exact and close matches anymore.

<<<>>>

You can clearly see a big difference (hopefully despite me censoring the logins, yes?) in readability. In 1Password 8, all logins show up the same. It seems like the exact matches still show up on top, but where do they end and the close matches start? Lack of readability here.

And speaking of, why do the close matches in the 1Password 8 screenshot even appear? They belong to a different URL. More precisely:

The first login in that screenshot is https://www.domain.com/ (and that is the website we are at now).
All other logins in that screenshot are https://subdomain.domain.com/folder/folder/ (and that's not where we at now)

Thank you very much for your great support!

1Password Version: 8.5.0
Extension Version: 2.2.3
OS Version: Windows 10

Comments

• Hi @me_and_myself:

We're continuing to evaluate the way Login items for a field are suggested. While I can't promise anything, I've shared your thoughts internally. Thanks for reaching out, and get in touch if you need anything in the future!

Jack

ref: IDEA-I-57

• Platima
    Platima
    Community Member
    Options

Hey how do I get 'Close Match' back? I've lost immediate access to HEAPS of logins now - out of 600ish saved, we'd have to modify most of them (1Password for Teams).

Similarly, I have 3x 1Password accounts, and I am struggling to get all 3 to work in the browser extension - adds one randomly, and when I try to sign in to another it has it as an option, then launches 1P to get the password - and I can see the account there - but then never adds it to Chrome.

Have rolled back to 1Password 7 on my work computer so I can at least sign into suppliers again, but I think this badly needs to be fixed in 1P 8. I have also advised my staff to all roll-back to 1P v7 too.

Thanks in advance.

• Hello @Platima,

Thanks for your message. I'm sorry to hear that you're missing this feature and have needed to revert to 1Password 7. As Jack mentioned, we can promise anything but I've passed this important feedback along to the product team for review while they are evaluating and working to make improvements on this front. Please let us know if you have any other concerns.

• davmc
    davmc
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

I've got a similar situation to the OP, albeit mostly for port numbers that host different services with different logins. In 1Password7 I would get an exact match or close match for each port/service. In 1Password8 I get a list of 20+ to manually scroll through which is not very useful. It looks like I will need to stick with 1Password7 for the moment despite all the prompts to upgrade that are now appearing in the desktop/mobile apps.

• Hi @Davmc,

We appreciate the additional feedback here and I'm sorry you've needed to return to 1Password 7 for Windows due to the extra matches you're receiving in version 8. I've passed your feedback along to the team as well.

With regard to your comment about the 1Password 8 bulletins in version 7, it should be noted that clicking X will only dismiss this banner. If you'd like to permanently close this bulletin, clicking the Cancel button will do so for you. I hope this helps and I've also passed along your thoughts on this subject. Thanks!

ref: IDEA-I-1690

• jimgreatvines
    jimgreatvines
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_mike_d please add me to the list. It is very disappointing for this beautiful new upgrade to actually go backwards in functionality! I need exact matches on domains before any other wildcard matching.

• Hi @jimgreatvines, I've added you to the list as requested. Thanks for the feedback!

• @Platima we're looking into this issue and I'd like to ask for clarification on your report. You said that you lost immediate access to many items. I imagine these items used to be suggested and now they're not suggested anymore. Could you please help me understand what these items had in common? Currently 1Password should still suggest them if they have a domain name in common but are on different subdomains. Was this not the case for your items?

Cheers,
    Gab

• Platima
    Platima
    Community Member
    Options

Hey yeah so we have a team of a dozen or so staff, and we have many customers that all have different subdomains, so some logins my be saved as customer1.service.com, generic addresses such as admin.service.com, etc. With 1P7 it would show the exact match, then 'close matches', which is what we would end up using 99% of the time.

The other example is not with customer subdomains, but with vendors that may have a dozen different login addresses. Eg some Ingram Micro logins are for au.ingrammicro.com/Site/home, some ingrammicro.com.au, some ingrammicro.com/login, etc.

Now that 1P8 matches on exact URL, we've got 837 logins that we would have to review and correct, then all of our internal bookmarks and procedure documents to update to use those exact addresses that are in 1Password.

We tried to use 8for half a day, but it really slowed down most aspects of the business, so we rolled all systems back to 1P7 and did an EDM to all business customers to not upgrade.

I also found that with my personal account on Android and iOS it keeps signing me out of one account (as I am signed in with both my work and personal 1P accounts), and on desktop I simply could not get both accounts to work. I could get them signed in, but then the Chrome extension would only ever show results from the account I signed in with first.

From what I can find online, eg on Reddit etc, there are literally thousands of people having these problems and sticking with 1P7. Not to mention that 8 seems much slower and laggier in the UI. This is often the case when using a bloated underlying framework such as Electron. Teams, Discord and a few other apps also have the same 'feel', hence I deleted my Discord account and use Teams Web instead.

I hope that feedback helps, as we otherwise like the product, and chose it specifically due to Troy Hunt's integrations.

• @Platima thanks! I'm going to try summarize the issues you've listed to see if I got them right, and ask some follow-up questions:

we have a team of a dozen or so staff, and we have many customers that all have different subdomains, so some logins my be saved as customer1.service.com, generic addresses such as admin.service.com, etc. With 1P7 it would show the exact match, then 'close matches', which is what we would end up using 99% of the time.

If I understood correctly, your customers' credentials are usually saved with their subdomain as the url, but sometimes you need to use a more generic credential set like the one you have for admin.service.com (I assume you're still using these credentials on the customer sites?).

1Password 7 used to show the more "generic" credentials as close matches, but 1Password 8 doesn't. Could you help me understand what you're seeing in 1Password 8 and how it's different than 1Password 7? Is it that it won't show the item you're looking for, or that it makes it hard to tell items apart because no URL is shown, so you don't know which one matches best?

The other example is not with customer subdomains, but with vendors that may have a dozen different login addresses. Eg some Ingram Micro logins are for au.ingrammicro.com/Site/home, some ingrammicro.com.au, some ingrammicro.com/login, etc.

I believe it should be possible to add multiple websites to a single item. The item will show on any of the URLs. Would this address your use-case?

Now that 1P8 matches on exact URL, we've got 837 logins that we would have to review and correct, then all of our internal bookmarks and procedure documents to update to use those exact addresses that are in 1Password.

Could you give me an example of how these would have to be changed?

Sorry for the many questions, I'm just hoping to understand the issue as best I can so that we can try and address it :) Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
    Gab

• Platima
    Platima
    Community Member
    Options

Hey so yep it no longer shows 'Close Matches', only exact, which means a large number of login pages we go to no longer show us credentials. We have to search 1Password for it, and then it offers to save a new entry, which is a duplicate causing split brain when it updates in one save/entry and not the other.

Yes you can have multiple websites per entry, but we have thousands of customers, so some services we may sign in to hundreds of subdomains (eg Umbrella, Meraki, Duo, Teltonika, etc). On top of that, some of them like Teltonika are dynamic; the URL generated chanegs each time, so that will never work if an exact match is required.

Even if we were to add a few hundred entries per saved login (if it supports that many), that is still 800+ saved passwords in 1P7 that we would have to go through and update. This would take a very long time.

Even then there would still be endless problems as say we deploy a new Duo instance for an existing customer, or Meraki deploys a new server/shard, we may be prompted to login to https://n259.meraki.com/ for an existing customer, which means we'll have to go and find the login manually, and then it'll just ask to save a new password not realising it's the same as the others under n69.meraki.com etc.

Long story short hundreds of man hours to get closer to making something useable, but will ongoing still not be completely useable, is not a good business decision! Especially when the older version does not have these significant flaws.

• Thanks @Platima. I must admit I'm not familiar with what might be going wrong here. Would you be willing to get on a call with me so we can look at the specifics of the issue you're encountering?

If that sounds good to you, please reach out to support@1password.com, mention this thread and that you'd like to talk to Gab. I'm gonna see if I can get something set up for us.

Again thanks for your eagerness to help here!

Cheers,
    Gabriele

• Platima
    Platima
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

What is going wrong is extremely easy; 1Password 8 only shows exact URL matches, not 'close' matches. This functionality does not work for commercial use, at least not for VARs and MSPs. I reached out to a few other ICT providers around the state that we work with and they have experienced the same issues and recommended instead moving to Lastpass.

A call will be of no use sorry, we have rolled back to 1P7 across the company and any customer sites where they had similar issues and this is working well foru s.

There is the last issue that 1P8 does not support multiple accounts nicely, and is very bloated and slow, but since we're sticking with V7 this is not an issue for us now.

-KP

• Thanks @Platima. We'll share some updates in case we make headway on fixing the issues you've described :)

This discussion has been closed.