Beta #7 of the year is now available

Options

Happy Tuesday, everyone! 🤗 You know what that means – it’s beta day! 🙌

Today’s release includes a fully redesigned feature that I centered the entire announcement around. It was a nice walk through, along with some lovely screenshots. It turned out really nice and I was ready to publish. Then I learned that the entire feature is still under active development and only those with AgileBits accounts can see it. 🤦🏻😂

Oh well, it means that next week's release will be all the more exciting. 🙂

As such, today's announcement is going to be a lot lighter than usual. The main highlights that I'm able to talk about are a few macOS specific changes that I’m sure will be a hit:

• Quick Access will now suggest relevant Login items based on the active browser tab in Safari and Chrome-based browsers.
  • 1Password will now open in full screen mode if that’s how you were last using it.

I know the last one in particular will be a hit for @rctneil and everyone else who loves full screen mode. 😘

You can find a full set of changes in our release notes for macOS , Windows , and Linux. Or, select the What’s New item from the feedback menu within the app.

As always, thank you so much for participating in the early access release and helping us to improve 1Password. We couldn't have gotten this far without you and the releases are so much better as a direct result of you. Thank you! 🙏🏻🤗

++dave;
1Password Founder

Comments

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

@dteare "As such, today's announcement is going to be a lot lighter than usual." -?????????? (rctneil does not agree :-) )

I tried to put some happy animated gifs here but your forum doesn't seem to allow me. Anyway, just consider all the gifs on this page to be embedded in my reply::

https://giphy.com/search/happy

Many thanks for that fix. It's such a small workflow issue that just makes the experience of using an app that much more seamless and polished!

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

@dteare Been playing around with the fullscreen function.

One extra part. It is a minor point though. If the 1PW window is a small window on your screen, then you put it in fullscreen mode and then exit fullscreen mode, then the window returns to the small size. Nice!

If you do the above, but quite the app whilst in fullscreen mode and reopen it, when you exit fullscreen mode, the app is maximised and is as tall and as wide as it can be without officially being in fullscreen mode.

To perfect this, it seems like the last size and position of the window should be stored somewhere permanently (even over app restarts) so that on exiting from fullscreen mode, that size and position can be restored rather than being stretched to full width and height.

I hope that makes sense.

As stated above, it's a small thing, but it's a thing i've noticed!

Many thanks again,
    Neil

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

@dteare & Team
    Thanks for the update. Just installed it and it looks / works great. 👍

@rctneil

I tried to put some happy animated gifs here but your forum doesn't seem to allow me.

Maybe this helps? 😉
    https://1password.community/discussion/127189/where-are-all-the-smileys-gone

• dteare
    Options

So happy to hear that you’re happy, @rctneil! 🙌 For your self-described minor point, I think we’re going to quit while we’re ahead. 😂 I’m pleased as punch that we’ve made it this far and don’t want to push my luck. 🙂

You’re very welcome, @DenalB. Glad you like it and thank you for letting us know it’s working well for you. 🤗

• wbtrans
    wbtrans
    Community Member
    Options

Hi
    I can't manage to install the beta version. I followed the instructions on the support website and switched the channel to "Beta" in the Settings, but nothing happens, even if I close and restart 1P. The settings do show "Beta" as channel, but no update is downloaded, I still have version 8.4.0 Production. If I click on "Search for updates, it tells me that my version is up-to-date.
    Any suggestion what I should do?

• abdc
    abdc
    Community Member
    Options

New user here. I was skeptical of the beta due to the feedback about the electron app. I just tried it on my Mac and it looks beautiful! Look forward to playing more with it. I had used an earlier version of 1password several years back but had transitioned to another app. It's a refreshing to be back, and a lot has changed since :)

• Ben
    Options

Hey @wbtrans

Could you please try downloading the latest release from here?

1Password Releases

Pick your platform in the right-hand sidebar, and then click the blue "Download 1Password for [Platform]" button. Please let us know how that turns out.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @abdc. So glad to hear you're enjoying it. 😄

Ben

• wbtrans
    wbtrans
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben
    Thanks for the hint, I actually did this in the meantime. I downloaded v 8.5.0.121, installed it and after this the switch to beta channel worked. I now have 8.6.0.51.
    It seems though that v 8.4 had a problem with updating anyway.
    Walter

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @wbtrans — and yes, I do seem to recall a problem with the updater in an earlier version. It may very well be that's what you were running into. In any event, I'm glad to hear it is working now. 👍🏻 If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• abdc
    abdc
    Community Member
    edited March 2022
    Options

I'm sharing a few things that I immediately noticed after moving from 1P7 to the current beta:

1. I cannot delete tags using keystroke but have to select a menu. If I am removing multiple tags (e.g from imported data), this takes a lot longer to process

2. I liked the flexibility of having a simpler template and customizing it as per my workflow. I am not sure why a user may need so many options, and each of these contains several fields that are not universally applicable. I'd also like to know if there is any other difference in these templates other than the group of fields that they contain.

3. I like the idea of having the security questions as a separate field in the beta. It takes more maintenance though (time to input these).

4. I wish the linked items can be presented as backlinks (two way links) rather than just one way. For example, bank account (A) → credit card (B) implies that credit card (B) → bank account (A).

5. The search dialog box for related links jumps around quite a bit when searching. This is very distracting as it happens while typing.

6. I love that the tags can be nested in 1P! Is it possible to make the left tag pane collapsible? It gets unwieldy if I have several nested tags.

7. The automatic QR code scanner is great. But it fails many items. I am not sure if there's a workaround like dragging the QR code in 1P7.

8. I discovered that I can enter several one time password fields in one entry. Is that intentional? I inadvertently created two for my dropbox account which was confusing.

• Ben
    Options

Hey @abdc!

Thanks for trying 1Password 8. I'd be happy to address that feedback. 🙂

1. As a keyboard-first user myself, I'd love to see us improve this. I see we have some thoughts around this already filed with development, and I'll add your voice to that. ref: dev/core/core#6801
    2. For the most part, these should be all the same options you're seeing in 1Password 7. We've build a different interface for presenting the various options, to help improve discoverability of the templates we provide, but the options are the same.
    3. Could you please clarify: do you mean this takes more time than not recording them at all, or that it takes more time than recording them in 1Password a different way? How were you previously creating and tracking these?
    4. I've advocated for that as well. 🤞🏻Hopefully this is something our product team considers for inclusion. ref: IDEA-I-425
    5. Thanks for reporting this. I'll have to play around with it a bit.
    6. It isn't currently, but we've had that discussion. We'll see.
    7. Have you been able to identify any particular circumstances where it is failing?
    8. Yes, this is intentional. It is valid for some cases to need to track multiple OTPs on one item.
    9. I split this one off into its own thread in our 1Password in the Browser category, as that team will be better positioned to investigate and respond on that point.

Thank you!

Ben

• abdc
    abdc
    Community Member
    edited March 2022
    Options

Thank you, Ben for your comprehensive and helpful reply.
    On 6, I was storing them in the notes field or in text cells using short phrases to remind me of the questions.
    Regarding 7, the QR scanner seems to work properly when I changed from dark mode to light mode, and I haven’t had the issue again. It’s a great improvement from drag and drop. Sometimes it also autofills the OTP on its own (wow!) but most times it does not. Please extend this to solving those annoying website captchas as well 😉

• rob
    Options

Hey, @abdc. Allow me to step in for Ben here.

On 6, I was storing them in the notes field or in text cells using short phrases to remind me of the questions.

I think you're referring to 3, your comments about security questions, right? If so, can you talk more about what is taking more time when you input the questions? From what I can tell, they function just like text fields if you want them to, but you can also take advantage of some suggestions for common questions and the phrase generator.

The other thought I had that you might mean is that instead of using a short phrase like "mother's maiden name", the app seems to expect you to enter the entire question "What is your mother's maiden name?" Is that what you mean? If so, I do the same thing, so I can fully relate. You should still be able to enter whatever field label you want, though.

Regarding 7, the QR scanner seems to work properly when I changed from dark mode to light mode, and I haven’t had the issue again.

That's very interesting. If you have a problem with it again it'd be great to figure it out, but I'm glad it's no longer a problem for now.

• abdc
    abdc
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @rob, thanks. The explanation regarding the security questions is clear. I’m liking how entire questions can be inputted, and flexibility of using short phrases if needed.
    Regarding the QR code scanner, I like this version better than the earlier and I haven’t had a glitch again 😊

• rob
    Options

Glad to hear it! :)

This discussion has been closed.