Emergency kit without printer

Options

I don't own a printer, as I only need one seldom enough that I get by with a trip to Fedex Office on the rare occasion. Now, along with starting to use 1P, I'm going through an overhaul of my digital life's organization, security, and, well, paranoia... though probably still only the healthy amount. And along with that, one of my thoughts has been guarding the secrecy of my Secret Key. To that end, the thought of sending a PDF through the little terminal at one of the self-serve printers at Fedex Office, probably makes a series of temporary (and vulnerable) copies of the file. To avoid that happening, I wrote down my Secret Key (along with the login address and email) on a piece of paper, before storing it in a secure location.

My question is, does the QR code contain anything besides those 3 items, and is it used for anything besides the convenience of not typing them out when activating 1P on a device? Everything I've read so far suggest "no," but I'd like to hear that for sure before deleting the Emergency Kit PDF, and leaving my hand-written one as the only hard copy. (And I ensured it's accurate, by activating a device by typing in the info from that copy, so any transcription error could be caught at that stage.) Put another way, with the exception of the no-typing convenience, can the QR code be ditched, and a handwritten copy of the 3 items (or 4, if you include the Master Password) serve as the Emergency Kit?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• @VessV

The Emergency Kit QR code is a convenience factor. It only contains the login URL, email address and Secret Key and nothing else. If you have the data saved you can indeed go without saving the QR code. Please make sure it is transcribed accurately as you mentioned. I advocate for the inclusion of the 1Password password for full data security, provided it is stored securely. I admit I am getting older and I have woke in the morning only to realize I could not recall my password 100%. You know that morning when the entire world seems to be on your back and everything is running behind. Then comes the staring at the screen like Oh no. Just a brain hiccup due to stress, but you get my point.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

This discussion has been closed.