Switch between channels doesn't work (Nightly -> beta or stable)

Options
jimger
jimger
Community Member

Hi, I have 8.6.0-67 Nightly and since some releases I try to go back to beta (or stable) but simply doesn't work. I have chosen it but still updates to... nightly

1Password Version: 8.6.0-67
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10

Comments

• Hi @jimger:

Just to confirm, you've selected the beta or production channel in Settings > Advanced? Switching release channels will download the next available release in that channel. For example, if you switch to the beta channel, you'll receive the next beta update when we release it, but until a version is available that is both in the selected release channel, and newer than the current version installed, 1Password will not update to it.

Let me know, and I can dig into it further with you!

Jack

• jimger
    jimger
    Community Member
    Options

Oh ok. I had it at release. Maybe u didn't have release. I switched to beta and will check.... Cheers. WIll probably update in a month or so

• jimger
    jimger
    Community Member
    Options

Oh ok. I had it at release. Maybe u didn't have release. I switched to beta and will check.... Cheers. WIll probably update in a month or so

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @jimger !

WIll probably update in a month or so

Beta builds are released weekly. Yesterday, beta 8.6.0-68 was released. So if you were at 8.6.0-67 Nightly yesterday, you should have got the 8.6.0-68 beta release. Right?

• jimger
    jimger
    Community Member
    Options

So I switched it to beta and as said had nightly 8.0.67. But instead of going to beta it went to night 71.

• PeterG_1P
    edited March 2022
    Options

Hi @jimger - just to make sure I understand correctly: you switched to the Beta channel, but instead the app updated to Nightly version 80600071?

Did you reboot the app after switching channels, but before updating? I would expect 1Password to need to re-read its configuration for the changes to take effect.

• jimger
    jimger
    Community Member
    Options

I don't remember if I did. But I think I have it for quite long so probably happened some time. TBh now I uninstalled and reinstalled the 1Password and is working ok... But it had no problem reading the config. Just continued to update to nightly

• james_tyner
    james_tyner
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

Hi, I've been having a similar/related issue to this on my Mac —

Ages ago, I was using the 1Password 8 beta, which I had installed concurrently with 1Password 7. After a few days, I uninstalled 1Password 8 and continued using 1Password 7.

Now that the production release of 1Password 8 was available, I installed that and uninstalled 7. But somehow 1Password 8 set itself to the Nightly track and downloaded the latest Nightly version. Even after I switched the release channel setting in Preferences to the Production track, it continues updating to new Nightly versions.

I tried uninstalling the app and reinstalling the production app, but then I get an error saying "You've used a newer version of 1Password on this computer."

I was able to download the beta app (currently 80800011) and get that one to open. If I keep the release channel set to Production, will that app switch to production eventually? Or do I have to manually install the production app once 80800011 is available there?

• Hey @james_tyner:

Great question. You're exactly right. If you've configured 1Password to use the production channel, you'll receive the next newest production release and won't have to manually reinstall the app.

Jack

• james_tyner
    james_tyner
    Community Member
    Options

@Jack.P_1P Hi! That actually didn't work — 1Password updated itself to Nightly 80800023 and is now offering to update to an even newer Nightly build. The setting in Preferences still shows Production as my selected channel, and Beta is the channel that I started on when I downloaded the app.

Is there a configuration file hidden somewhere on the Mac that I could delete or modify to get this unstuck?

This discussion has been closed.