Beta #8 of 2022 is now available 🙌

Options

Happy Beta Tuesday, everyone! 🤗 Beta #8 includes lots of improvements and several new visuals that I’m excited to share.

My favourite enhancement is a new feature in Watchtower banners that allow you to ignore warnings for specific items. This is perfect for keeping things neat and tidy on those rare occasions when you don’t want to act on Watchtower advice.

If you’re ever curious about how many items are being shown, the sort menu now includes the total item count along with how they are being sorted.

Those with keen eyes will notice something else in the above screenshot. We’ve gone through the app to add lovely placeholder images on all the empty screens. Here’s how things will look when no item is selected.

Same for item lists. When viewing an empty Vault or finding no results after searching you’ll see a more interesting empty view and a shout out to the relevant keyboard shortcut.

Last but not least, we made an important change to the item details screen when the window isn’t in focus. Here’s what it looks like now.

Did you spot the difference? Well your CPU and Battery will. 🙂 We now hide the animated countdown when the window isn’t in focus to conserve power. It may sound small but it’s just one of the many ways we’ve optimized 1Password 8 to be the fastest version of 1Password yet. 🔥

You can find a full set of changes in our release notes for macOS , Windows , and Linux. Or, select the What’s New item from the feedback menu within the app.

As always, thank you so much for participating in the early access release and helping us to improve 1Password. We couldn't have gotten this far without you and the releases are so much better as a direct result of you. Thank you! 🙏🏻🤗

++dave;
1Password Founder

Comments

• agaton
    agaton
    Community Member
    Options

Yes! No more vulnerable and weak password warnings for PINs. I suppose it's easy to bring the warning for each item if I change my mind?

• Hey @agaton:

As it currently stands, after an item's Watchtower warning has been ignored, there isn't a way to bring it back, but it's on our radar, so stay tuned!

Jack

• dteare
    Options

Glad to hear you like this new feature! 🥰 PINs were definitely one of the use cases we had in mind.

Regarding changing your mind, I don’t think we merged the change yet but in the near future you’ll be able to reset Watchtower alerts by editing the item. In the more distant future we’re looking to have a way to view all dismissed banners and reset them individually.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Great update! Thanks a lot! 👌

One thing I found in 1Password for Windows 8.6.0-68:
    The new setting "Click the icon to: Show a menu" doesn't seem to work for me.

When enabling this setting, nothing happens when left-clicking the systray icon. But right-clicking the icon always brings up the menu, no matter which setting I chose here. The two other settings "Show Quick Access" and "Show the main window" are working as expected.

• hvarun87
    hvarun87
    Community Member
    Options

is there an issue with auto-submit of forms with the beta? after the password is filled, it doesnt auto-login further

• hvarun87
    hvarun87
    Community Member
    Options

Add an option to show count by type on sidebar to identify number of entries under each tag/category

• volts
    volts
    Community Member
    edited March 2022
    Options

The placeholder images are really nice, and make the app feel genuinely better. I appreciate the incremental improvements a ton!

Did you spot the difference? Well your CPU and Battery will. 🙂 We now hide the animated countdown when the window isn’t in focus to conserve power.

This feels like raising the price of an item before putting it on sale.

On my slow system 1Password 7 required 0.2-0.3% CPU to render that animated countdown, and it provided genuinely useful information about the TOTP timer.

1Password 8 requires 2-4% CPU on the same system. CPU usage is worse when in the foreground, and while it's better (almost 0%!) when in the background, the useful TOTP timer has been removed.

It may sound small but it’s just one of the many ways we’ve optimized 1Password 8 to be the fastest version of 1Password yet. 🔥

This may be the best version of 1Password 8, but it isn't the fastest version of 1Password. Electron is a lot of things but it isn't fast.

• Compare CPU utilization between 1Password 7 and 1Password 8 when scrolling in a large vault.
    • Compare CPU utilization when the cursor is simply blinking in the search field!

I'm sure you've seen the complaints all over the Internet. Hacker News is angry. Miguel de Icaza called you out on Twitter.

I appreciate all of the improvements, and am a frequent advocate for the product. I've influenced several Enterprise customers to choose you.

Just ... please don't claim 1Password 8 is the fastest version. It feels condescending and disrespectful.

• FYI, Today we released an updated beta version of 1Password for Mac. The only difference in build 80600081 is updating our browser code signature verification checks to work with Google's new codesigning key for Chrome.

• dteare
    Options

Thanks @DenalB. I was able to recreate this on my Thinkpad. I opened issue #13538 internally to track this.

@hvarun87: in 1Password 8 we do not autosubmit forms. There’s quite a few challenges there for both technical and UX reasons and we actually removed it from the new 1Password browser extension years ago. Overall it has been working much better but I do miss autosubmit myself sometimes, too.

Regarding adding the item count back to the sidebar, I wouldn’t mind if the sidebar wasn’t already so overloaded. We’ve been trying to simplify things there and have moved the item count to be at the bottom of item lists as well as within the sort menu. I admit it takes a bit of getting used to as it is a bit unorthodox on Mac but I’ve been quite pleased with how it turned out. Please use it for a while and see if you warm up to it.

@volts: thank you! I’m glad to hear you’ve been enjoying the improvements. Regarding performance, I meant no disrespect whatsoever and I’m sorry I pissed you off. Where I’m coming from is I’ve been using 1Password for a very long time now and 1Password 8 is without a doubt the fastest versions we have ever had. Unlocking is faster. Searching is faster. Syncing data is faster.

I’m thrilled by the speed and performance of Rust and am delighted by the UX provided by our new Knox design language. The fact that this is bundled and ran within Electron is just an implementation detail. There’s talk of them moving to WKWebViews on Mac which would be great, and we're also sponsoring Tauri as they are doing similar work that will revolutionize this space. Either of these would help make things even faster and I look forward to being able to stand on the shoulders of these giants once they’re ready for us.

I am interested to hear your experiences in terms of UI responsiveness. I noticed all your reported findings were based on CPU utilization. How is the performance of the app itself?

Cheers!

++dave;
    1Password Founder

• dteare
    Options

👋 Good morning everyone! ☀️

Today is an extra special day as we're able to officially announce 1Password Developer Tools. 🎉

1Password now includes full support for SSH keys, providing the easiest and most secure way for developers to manage SSH keys and use Git in their daily workflow. Together with our new command-line tool, authorizing services and securing your development toolchains is easier then ever.

See our SSH and Git, meet 1Password and Your CLI wish is our command announcement posts for full details. We also have a cool video.

https://youtu.be/5EyrtO0Msgw

These features were already baked into the betas y'all already have installed so you can get started right away. As for this week's beta, we're expecting to publish it later in the week as we're focused on the launch today.

Enjoy and we'll talk again soon! 🤗

++dave;
    1Password Founder

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @dteare ! Thanks again for all your work.

I was wondering that I'm in the beta channel and got the latest production release. Is that a bug or a feature?

• dteare
    Options

We always update you to the latest build. On launch days that can mean you wind up with the production build. Once a new beta is released (we’re hoping for Thursday) you’ll be back on the beta train.

++dave;

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Good to know. Thanks! 🙏 😉

• hvarun87
    hvarun87
    Community Member
    Options

@dteare i have been using the app since some time now, I believe the count per category or tag displayed down becomes a bit cumbersome to find out when there is more items… I usually end up select all and right click to see count of items selected…. From a UX standpoint I feel having it on top of list would help in much better way.

• Thanks for the feedback, @hvarun87. We'll take this into account as we go forward!

• hvarun87
    hvarun87
    Community Member
    Options

@PeterG_1P thanks for the acknowledgement.. just another thought here.. show count for selected item only on sidebar.. this should be much bette.

• Hey @hvarun87:

Thanks for your additional feedback! We're always using thoughts like yours to inform the future of 1Password. 😀

Jack

This discussion has been closed.