Feature Request: Add Expiration date to Software Licenses

Options

I've currently transitioned most if not all of my license information for software into 1Password including the serial number, purchasing information, a copy of the invoice and receipt etc. However, quite a few companies out there, yourselves included without the licensing, are changing the structure for personal use to yearly etc. Which means that quite a few of us now have to remember to either mark down on a calendar that we need to update our licenses or have the software give us a nice surprise one day.

Since you already have this feature built into the credit cards, drivers licenses, outdoor licenses, and passports categories, would you be able to add this into the software area as well?

What I need:

What I'd like to see incorporated:

I would maybe ask to have the programmers add it into the area that makes the most sense to them. But I think that having this added in for both personal and corporate users would greatly benefit everyone.
Thank you for your consideration.

1Password Version: 8.6.0 Beta
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 10 Pro

Comments

• dgbeecher
    dgbeecher
    Community Member
    Options

This is a great idea and makes sense given the popularity of this licensing model.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Good idea! 👍

I have 69 entries for Software Licenses in 1Password. I also could need an expiration date in some of my entries.

Actually, I created my own template for Software Licenses and when a new license should be added I duplicate an existing entry.

These are my templates:

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the input folks. :) I'll make sure our product team is aware of the request.

Ben

ref: IDEA-I-156

• jozyjo
    jozyjo
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben has there been any updates on this request? I looked in the software area and there are no fields in New or Existing for Expiration Dates to be placed for Licenses. I know your software engineers are busy, but this is an existing field that is out there already in other categories that could be copied over into this one. I know I'm a family user, but surely this is something that would be considered a high priority for businesses who are using your product at the very least (I would know seeing as I work in IT).
    Much thanks

• Hi @jozyjo

I don't have anything additional at this point. The ask is out there and our product team is aware of it. They will monitor demand and other factors to see if it is something that we can get on the roadmap. As it stands it has not made that cut, but we're keeping an eye our for feedback from customers where this would be helpful and making sure that input is considered. In an effort to be as transparent as possible it is atypical for requests for additional categories or changes to existing categories to happen. There are simply too many differing opinions on what categories we should offer and what fields should be on those category templates.

For what it's worth, and frankly what I think is ultimately more likely to happen: the product team is also considering how to move forward with categories that are customizable by the end-user. If that does move forward it'll be a large undertaking, and so I wouldn't anticipate seeing it in the near term. It would help with a lot of use cases, particularly when compared with chasing individual category template changes.

I'm sorry I don't have the answer you were hoping for, but I hope that helps provide some insight.

Ben

• jozyjo
    jozyjo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben. I appreciate you getting back to me. You'll have to pardon me if I am reading this the wrong way, but am a bit blown away at this point. I am sorry to hear that your company doesn't feel that something as simple as an expiration date field is something that doesn't seem important when it comes to Software Licenses. Especially if this is something already built into the software and currently active in other databases like Drivers Licenses and Outdoor Licensees. Being able to track if you have an upcoming expiring Software subscription that is expiring is VERY important for budgetary purposes! OH! Wow. You might even be able to integrate in 1Password individual and Family subscriptions in there too as I use this feature to track that as well. But jeez that not just for us home users. What about the multi-million or billion dollar businesses out there that NEED to track their licenses and HAVE to make sure that they keep everything up to date or they end up paying penalties for not renewing their licenses on time. Having this simply field solves that. And what's wrong with customizing the system? Haven't you proven to every single password manager out there that you are the best one there is BECAUSE you are so customizable? Because you can add so many varying fields? After all, I know hundreds of people I have spoken to and at least 50 I have personally recommended your product to BECAUSE of how customizable it is and because it allows for a desktop version to be installed when others have removed those features. Yes, I understand that it can be harder to support at times. More things are bound to break. But you are giving the customers what they want and sorely LACK in other products.

But if having a field that already exists in the system, the fact that if you add it might mean that others will feel entitled to ask for something as well so that they can customize 1password to work better for them and it takes away the power you guys have to make decisions and not us for the amount of money we spend? Ok. Thank you for answering my question. Have a good day.

• dgbeecher
    dgbeecher
    Community Member
    Options

I'll just second (again) my support for this feature. I don't like how these forum replies get counted as "votes", and how such "votes" are used as an index of "demand", a large quantity of which is necessary before features are to be developed. I'd rather that the logic and reasonableness of the proposed feature be weighted a bit more heavily compared to all that. This feature makes perfect sense. It would be useful to everyone who buys software that has expiration dates. It would fit nicely in with the other item types that already have expiration dates. Why not just implement it? Of course there would be some work involved, but it would surely make for a better product. Isn't that what we all want?

Anyway, perhaps I should simply have written: +1

This discussion has been closed.