Safety Risk with CleanMyMac??

Options
ulbn
ulbn
Community Member

I have just paid for a years use of "Clean My Mac"...now, in order to be able to do a current status check/survey, they asked me for access to my entire harddisk..

.Will they thus be able to get to my passwords and also the most valuable, safety critical password, i.e. the main password for 1Pw7 app? And get access to my money??

I just got awfully worried com to think of it...

1Password Version: 7.9.2
Extension Version: ?
OS Version: macOS Monterey 12.2.1

Comments

• ulbn
    ulbn
    Community Member
    Options

The "CleanMyMac" software is running (scanning my Mac) at the moment.. Have I better stop then Urgenly??

• @ulbn

We recommend against allowing clean up apps near your data. They have been known to cause data loss. I suggest if you have an exclusion list for the app, that you add 1Password to it.

Disk permission allow other apps and even 1Password access to do their intended job. If you have any reservations about the app. I would recommend looking deeper at it. Your 1Password password should only be stored in your memory and I also recommend on the Emergency Kit for those emergency type situations. I can't speak about clean my mac as I do not use it. I can say it is in the Mac App Store. If it were nefarious I would think Apple would not allow it to be part of the store.

• ulbn
    ulbn
    Community Member
    Options

Hi ag_tommy, thanks for your reply…

I suddenly got a little nervous, since I wasn’t sure what their question…”full access to hard disc” involved…also all 1Password 7 info??

That is not good, I realized then. Is this a clever scam, so that they are trying to get to my all passwords, and, particularly my 1Pw7 Master Password? oops, oh my!

That is NOT a good result for my simple desire to make my laptop cleaner and more agile!

Should I cancel and demand a refund from them of my SEK 400 (roughly 40 USD) annual fee, already paid invoice? I feel being close to have been “fucked”, in a somewhat suspect way…?

Being a old and slow ”rookie” in the global internet world, I know that cash is King, and sooner or later the sharks out there will ”cheat me out of my pants…” Inoften think.

What do you suggest?
    Thanking you in advance…
    /B in Sweden

• @ulbn

If you are not going to use the app you might want to look into a refund. Each app has their own policies governing refunds. I am not sure what options are available to you. The folks at Clean My Mac would be able to assist you in that regard.

This discussion has been closed.